Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Six Strikes, You're Out

We have been sleeping in our apartment since Sunday night.  It's bliss.  Our "stuff" is supposed to arrive from California via England via Madrid Thursday.  We can't wait for that to happen. 

We now have wireless connectivity for one of our laptops.  Via Vodafone.  I finally gave up on Movistar after phoning Monday morning and being told that someone would call me Monday, and then going into the store Monday afternoon to be told that if someone didn't call me Monday night, they would probably call me Tuesday. 

Since this had been going on since Thursday; and since this was my sixth visit to Movistar and I still had no contract; and since I had stopped off at Vodafone in the morning and learned that if we signed up with them for internet, we would have immediate wireless connectivity even though the hardwire installation might take more than three weeks; and since I found a cable company that could give us more channels (also immediately); and since when I told the sales rep at Movistar all this, she just shrugged her shoulders... I said thanks but we wouldn't be signing a contract with them and I moved on.  Movistar struck out.  But, in case you don't know, it's really only three strikes and you're out in American baseball.

LOVED THE UNIFORM BUT, AT THE AGE OF 5, I COULDN'T HAVE TOLD YOU THE RULES OF THE GAME.

Vodafone was true to their word.  The only problem is we can't seem to get the modem to work for us both.  So, Jerry has connectivity.  I share his computer as needed.  And I go over to Starbucks for a Frapuccino and 45 minutes of free WiFi.  That's where I am right now.

On Friday, I bought a new permanent smart phone to replace the cheap, temporary, basic phone I've had for the past few weeks.  But, because I kept my number and changed service providers (from Yoigo to Vodafone), my smart phone and my internet connection that comes with it will not be live until Friday at two. Government regulations.  I didn't realize that and couldn't understand why I had no service on my new phone.  Miguel at Vodafone explained it to me.  I'm sure the sales rep who sold me the phone last week would have explained that to me, as well, and it was simply lost in translation.

WHICH BRINGS ME BACK TO BASEBALL
Several years ago, our Norwegian cousin Jon Olaf asked Jerry to explain the game of baseball.  It's not an extremely complex game, we thought.  It would be fun and simple to explain, we thought. 

EXPLAINING BASEBALL, IN NORWEGIAN,
TO BONNIE THE DOG.
Jerry began by telling Jan Olaf that there are two teams with nine players each.  There are nine innings in a game, with three outs per inning. 

"What's an inning?" asked Jon Olaf. 

Jerry attempted to explain an inning.  That wasn't too difficult. 

But then, "What's an out?" 

Jerry tried to explain that one way of getting "out" was to get three strikes.

"What's a strike?" 

Jerry discussed the very basics of strikes — the swing-and-miss kind and the strike-zone kind — and that if you got four balls before you got three strikes you would walk. 

First, Jan Olaf laughed at the idea of anyone having to walk anywhere with four balls. 

But then he wondered where one would be walking... And... "They use more than one ball?" 

Explaining Spanish phones, internet, and TV to me is kind of like explaining American baseball to Jan Olaf.   

Except that Jan Olaf was fluent in English.

16 comments:

  1. you looked adorable in your uniform my friend...and so glad things seem to be moving along at last :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bless.... how cute do you look in that uniform :)
    If you think baseball is difficult to explain, try explaining cricket!
    Well done on being "in". It defies logic that a company is willing to lose a new customer though sheer inefficiency!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Carlos had never been to a baseball game until a few years after we met--he is not a sports fan at all.
    So, there we are, at the game--Marlins v Giants, i think--and at the end of the first inning Carlos rose, and announced to the group of his co-workers with whom we'd come to the game, that he'd enjoyed it, but didn't realize how short it was.
    One inning, and he thought it was over!

    ReplyDelete
  4. David:
    We really love it here. Things are definitely coming together. And we are also learning to slow down a bit. We've got plenty of time to get everything in order (especially now that we're home)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Craig:
    And my bathrobe had quilted boxing glove appliques. So butch! Jerry and I have watched BBC News here as they cover cricket matches. Clear as mud!!! We have no clue what they're talking about! I have no idea how Movistar/Telefonica stays in business.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bob:
    And poor Carlos when he then had to sit through eight more innings! I hope it was at least a good game.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Pretty soon you'll be at the end of the beginning, and kept your sense of humor the whole time! (I think!) Cricket! People have tried to explain this to me too many times with no success. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  8. At last it's all coming together. Hope the weather will drop a bit so you're not soaked to the bone when the stuff gets in.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Kristi:
    I try to always keep the sense of humor. I don't think I'm even going to attempt to understand Cricket (that's one sticky wicket). Futbol, on the other hand, is a must.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Peter:
    The temperatures have been much more pleasant but we understand some rain is on the way. I hope it holds off until after our stuff is here. It's actually cloudy today, which is nice for a change.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think I understand Vodafone more than Baseball.
    m.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Mark:
    It's Movistar and Telefonica you've got to watch out for. They don't even understand themselves. I could explain the rudiments of baseball to you... not that I imagine you'd be interested! (And it would bore me after a few minutes.)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yeah! In your own apartment.....finally! Bet that feels good!
    Great post Mitch! How you tied the two themes together....clever fellow you are!
    We love baseball but I never had to explain the rules before. Buy cousin Jan a video on baseball....a lot easier to see it than explain it, maybe.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Our wireless acted up for weeks on end. We had to unplug it so many times and then we'd say"what have we got this system for"....This morning said to Jim "Did you notice we don't have wireless problems anymore?" We just stared at each other trying to remember a few months back about all the groaning.Such is technology...it controls you and then drops you like a hot potato!
    Love the baseball analogy...5 year olds are cute, now, aren't they! winky wink

    ReplyDelete
  15. Jim:
    SO good to be home. Our stuff from California arrives mid-day tomorrow! Never thought it would be so difficult to explain baseball. A video would help!

    John:
    Aw, you don't think so? :)

    sophie...^5:
    Oh, the wireless... and now the TV. Fortunately, I don't have much hair left to pull out.

    ReplyDelete

Please visit www.movingwithmitchell.com if you would like to comment or stay up to date. I stopped posting here and reproduced all previous posts, as well, 25 September 2018. Thanks!!!