Monday, December 17, 2012

I Eat, Therefore...

CHEF GONZALO,
PRE-BEARD.
For someone who doesn't cook, I sure do a lot of writing about food. If I'm not careful, I might soon start dicing and slicing (although that's highly unlikely).

The other night, San Geraldo and I decided we needed a bit of a pick-me-up, so we took a walk over to our favorite restaurant, Catalina (Casa de Comidas), where we had another perfect meal and some tender loving care.

As usual, we started with Chef Gonzalo's special creation "rollitos." Another dish we usually order is a rich, dark risotto. And we like to try at least one new dish from the daily specials. This time, Albert, manager and charmer originally from Barcelona — (as opposed to my friend Albert who doesn't work at Catalina, so is just a charmer originally from Sweden) — told us about an artichoke special that sounded delicious. Artichokes — lightly battered, delicately spiced, and lightly fried — with a side of mayonnaise and curry sauces. It was kind of like tempura (which I love), only different... and oh so much more interesting.

PASSING PLAZA DE LA ENCARNACIÓN ON OUR WAY TO CATALINA CASA DE COMIDAS.
SAN GERALDO REMOVED LAYERS AS WE WALKED.
ALCACHOFAS (ARTICHOKES) BY GONZALO.
ANOTHER "BEST I'VE EVER HAD"!
SOME DIE-HARDS STILL ENJOYED PATIO DINING DESPITE "FRIGID" 11C/52F NIGHT-TIME TEMP.
SANDRA SERVING. SHE WANTS ORDER FORMS FOR US WITH ROLLITOS PRE-PRINTED.

We stayed so long, we closed the place. A couple of veritable party animals. By the time we walked home, all the Christmas lights had been turned off in town. We'll be back there on the 21st. They're hosting an evening of music, dancing, and more good food. I'll have to get a new photo of Chef Gonzalo. He's grown a beard, but he says it's only temporary. He told me, "Now you and I look alike." I told him, "In my dreams."

THE VIEW FROM THE BALCONY THIS EVENING. SWEET DREAMS.

22 comments:

  1. I love artichokes served in any fashion although I've never been served them this way. They look delicious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stephen:
      I love artichoke hearts, but have never liked the rest of the plant. Amazingly, yet again, Gonzalo enabled me to enjoy something I never have before (like anchovies).

      Delete
  2. Oh, how lovely a 52-degree evening sounds. We've had rain on top the all the snow and walking is treacherous. Surely you can't hang around restaurants all the time. You never mention going out to movies. Do they have any English-language theaters around?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ms. Sparrow:
      We do seem to hit a lot of restaurants, but the truth is we eat at home much more often here than we ever did in the States. As for movies, there are a couple of theaters that show movies in their original language. We talk about going and we never do. It might be because we have a cable TV package with 4 gazilllion channels (maybe an exaggeration), and we get to see movies fairly quickly after their release. Dying right now to see the Abe Lincoln movie, though!

      Delete
  3. Gosh, the food and the sights.
    Fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, 'sweet dreams are made of these'!
    I could really take on a few of those artichokes....I can see why they would be tasty!
    It was about 5C here today....not bad eh for the North Atlantic! I see it does get coolish in Sevilla, never knew that Mitch.
    Great last photo!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jim:
      Coolish? It actually can get below 10C overnight. Downright Arctic.

      Our views from our balconies really are magical.

      Delete
  5. Just make your own order form with their logo and ROLLITOS as the first item, and surprise Sandra that it can be done... OR look in your email box.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Peter:
      You are amazing. Can't wait to print out your creations and take them to Catalina.

      Delete
  6. Oh, that all looks so good. The food, the people, the lovely city you live in. The view from your balcony, that sky with the crescent moon in the corner! The good life, you've found the formula, hey? As for the food blogging - well, it doesn't matter that you don't cook, you eat, so there's every reason to write about it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, the joys of Spanish cuisine!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Will:
      And I had no idea until coming here. This is my way to eat. A little bit of a lot of different things.

      Delete
  8. I wondered what the handsome chef would look like with a beard...but then you posted the above photo of San Geraldo, so now I can stop wondering. :)

    Your pictures are always wonderful, but I think that last one from the balcony takes the alcachofa...I mean, the cake.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Michelle:
      Yep, I've got my own personal handsome chef! (But I'll still get a shot of that other one...)

      The first time we saw this apartment, we gasped at the views from the balconies. We still do.

      Delete
  9. I've said it before; Europeans see food as a delight; Americans see it as fuel, something cheap and tasteless, not wanting it more. Fools.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Spo:
      Well, maybe an overstatement, but it's a certainly different experience for me here. Of course, if I ever have the need, we do have Domino's Pizza, Burker King and McDonald's, and even KFC (I will NEVER have the need)!

      Delete
  10. I have to try and make the artichokes. Yummy looking.
    That's a great view from your window. What fun and new experence
    Christmas in Spain. What made you move to Spain?

    Merry Christmas, have to get back to my Rum cakes,before
    I over bake them.

    yvonne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yvonne,
      Rum cakes! I love rum cakes! I wonder if I can find one for dessert tonight.

      Moving to Spain? Now, that's a long story (that I started telling in late 2010). Start here and I'd be glad to answer questions via email: http://mitchellismoving.blogspot.com.es/2010/11/why-move-why-leave-why-spain.html

      Thanks so much for your visits and for being so interested!

      Delete
  11. he's a bit of a dish!
    olla!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. John:
      I seem to remember that you like beards. I definitely have to get a photo of him before he shaves. Dish? He's an entire platter!

      Delete

Please visit www.movingwithmitchell.com if you would like to comment or stay up to date. I stopped posting here and reproduced all previous posts, as well, 25 September 2018. Thanks!!!