Wednesday, December 4, 2013

Fuengirola Rolls Up The Sidewalks

It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas around here. It's a chilly 17C/63F right now and after a cloudy, gray morning, the "winter" sun is shining once again. It was even raining a bit when we woke up this morning. Deciduous trees continue to lose their leaves (although their leafless season is brief). For the Costa del Sol, at least, it's wintery. Christmas decorations are going up all over town. And the beaches have taken on their winter look, as well. I've never lived anyplace where they, literally (and I do mean literally), roll up the sidewalks (called "pavement" in the UK — although I've never understood that since the "pavement" abuts the road, which is also paved).

SOME OF THE BEACH "SIDEWALKS" BEING ROLLED UP FOR WINTER.
(CLICK TO ENLARGE.)

I need to go around town to see all the lights, trees, and decorations. There's a Christmas tree on nearby Plaza San Rafael and, the other night when we went to Meson Salvador for dinner, we were surprised by three leafless trees covered in ice crystals. Three metal trees, that is, covered in lights.

PLAZA SAN RAFAEL AND THE CHRISTMAS TREE.
PLAZA SAN RAFAEL'S CHRISTMAS TREE FROM THE BACK END OF OUR TERRACE.
LAST NIGHT ON THE PLAZA.
ICE-LADEN TREE (MESON SALVADOR IN BACKGROUND).

Tonight we're going to a Christmas dinner with 120 of our closets friends. (I know five of them.) It's black-tie optional and casual-acceptable. We're going casual. San Geraldo has some new sweaters but, having now lost more than 20 kilos (44+ pounds), he hasn't figured out what he'll do for pants. Could be an interesting look.

THE "FALLING YUCCA" PLACED SAFELY AWAY FROM THE WIND.
(NOTICE THE BAGS OF STONES TO ENSURE IT STAYS UPRIGHT.) 
20-KILO BAG OF STONES. THIS IS HOW MUCH WEIGHT SAN GERALDO HAS LOST.

25 comments:

  1. I love the Plaza San Rafael's tree! Very 60s mod; I have expect Judy Carne to come dancing out of it!
    And that would totally be my solution to the toppling yucca. Put a bag o'rocks on it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bob:
      Do you remember the show from 1962 called "Fair Exchange" (or maybe you're too young!)? I was 8. That was my intro to Judy Carne (and the idea of living someplace foreign to me).

      Delete
  2. The Plaza tree and reflection Mitchell is beautiful! I like the ice-laden one too. It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas, everywhere you go......
    Have fun with your 120 friends!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jim:
      Gloriously sunny and 19C today. Very Christmassy. Had a great time last night with "my friends"!

      Delete
  3. Does Christmas mean there'll be yet MORE religious processions? Hmmmmm. Thought so.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Raybeard:
      You're safe. First, not as many religious processions (by a mile) as in Sevilla. Also, the majority of religious processions are at Easter (Semana Santa). But there is Three Kings Day (Epiphany) still to come 6 January, and I'm hoping there's a parade!

      Delete
  4. Your adopted city looks very well maintained. I'd love to visit it one day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stephen:
      It is very well maintained. It's a great town for a holiday with easy access to lots of historic and interesting places. Would love to see you here one day!

      Delete
  5. You had me going with the "ice-laden tree". :) It's great seeing the different faces of your city.

    Congrats to San Geraldo for losing all that weight! The bag of stones is a very graphic picture of that. I'm probably carrying around my own bag of stones, which, I am finding, is very difficult to get rid of. Best wishes to you both.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jo:
      I love the metal trees covered in crystals. Really magical. I haven't managed to get a good "lit" photo of one. When we bought the stones, I saw the weight label as I was lifting it. Talk about a reality check! What a load for the knees and back to be supporting!

      Delete
  6. I agree with Jim: That photograph with the reflection of the tree in the water is very nice. Pavement: I don't know why we say 'pavement'. I wouldn't say that the roads are paved although I guess here in Germany some are: with cobblestones. But then when I think about it, I would say a 'paved road' meaning one that isn't made of dirt…..

    Who knows why we say the things we say!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kirk:
      Well, as you know, we Americans have our own very peculiar brand of what we think is English. My English brother-in-law and I have had an ongoing war of words. And "pavement" has always stuck in my mind. When my niece was 3-1/2, her parents and I took her to Scarborough for the day. We were walking through town and she stepped into the road. I said, "Ericka, get on the sidewalk." She looked at me blankly and kept walking. I repeated it and she still ignored me. My brother-in-law smiled at my lack of English literacy and said, "Ericka, on the pavement, please." She immediately stepped onto the "sidewalk." I said, "Well where was she before?" He said, "In the road?" I said, "Is it paved?" He said, "Cheeky."

      Delete
  7. WhoooHoooo! Congratulations to Jerry on the weight loss. That's fantastic! Maybe he and John (in Wales) could go shopping together for new britches. Those trees are so pretty... love the reflection!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sharon:
      Jerry did get a new pair of pants yesterday afternoon!

      Delete
  8. I like the ice tree. I've never seen anything like that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Andrew:
      There are three of them. I'll try to get better night-time photos. None worth sharing so far. I had never seen that before either. It's magical even during the day.

      Delete
  9. Where are all the cheap christmas plastic objects?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Spo:
      Oh, I'm sure I could find some if you really wanted me to!

      Delete
    2. Christmas ain't christmas without some cheap christmas trash!

      Delete
    3. Spo:
      Who are you calling cheap Christmas trash... Oh, never mind!

      I'll see what I can find in my explorations.

      Delete
  10. I'm always impressed by the beauty of the two Spanish cities I've seen with your help. My daughter once took a week long language class in Sevilla and she loved it, but never took any pictures!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kristi:
      Sevilla is an incredible and incredibly picturesque city. We haven't traveled a lot yet around Spain, but what we've seen, we've loved.

      Delete
  11. Love, love, love that tree!
    Di
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Di:
      I plan to cover the rest of the city in the coming days. I have no idea what else is going on.

      Delete
  12. It won't let me reply up there so i'll reply here:

    i never saw that show, so my first taste of Judy was from Laugh-In.

    ReplyDelete

Please visit www.movingwithmitchell.com if you would like to comment or stay up to date. I stopped posting here and reproduced all previous posts, as well, 25 September 2018. Thanks!!!