Friday, August 1, 2014

You're The Cream [Steamed Milk] In My Coffee

I got up on the wrong side of the bed this morning.

The first time I can remember My-Mother-The-Dowager-Duchess saying that to me (I must have been about 4), I couldn't figure out what she meant. One side of my bed was against the wall. How could I possibly have gotten up on that side? I at least did learn to understand what she meant. And, unfortunately, I haven't stopped doing it.

Today, I awoke from a miserable work-related dream. I haven't worked for more than three years and I haven't worked for the company I dreamt about for more than five years.

You'd think I'd be over it by now. But, I guess I'm not.

So, excuse me for being just a little out of sorts.

I had San Geraldo's always-charming company (OK, I exaggerate... he has his moments, too; but today he was charming) for morning coffee downstairs at Cafe El Noventa (Cafe 90). David (pronounced Dah-VEED) served our coffees as usual and I tried to create art from the combination of coffee and steamed milk. Some days David pours works of art himself (without trying).

DAVID'S FIRST POUR:  DOVE OF PEACE?
A LITTLE 'SWISH' OF MY MAGIC SPOON: AN APPLE.

Then, San Geraldo went to Spanish class and I sat another artful hour and a half with our dear friend Jessica (from Sandpiper Restaurant, click here). Today was our first day of weekly meetings so that Jessica can refine and perfect her English. She already speaks beautifully, but she wants to improve her pronunciation and grammar (oh, those verb tenses), and learn to write well. Today we covered a variety of topics. It was a pleasure; enables me to improve my Spanish skills, as well; and gives me another opportunity to see Jessica (who brightens any day).

A FOREIGN TONGUE.
LATER: A LITTLE TRIP TO AFRICA.

Now, I'm going to have a siesta. I hope to get up on the right side of the bed this time.

Thanks to you and San Geraldo for sticking around...

23 comments:

  1. What amazing little frothy oeuvres d'art you have produced here, Señor!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Judy:
      I would love to learn how to create the true works of art (without stencils). But then I'd never get any coffee drinking done.

      Delete
  2. There is no day that cannot be improved by a nap.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Michael:
      There are still those opposing sides of the bed to contend with.

      Delete
  3. You 'cream/steamed milk people' have all the fun!! Us 'black' drinkers just sit an watch!

    Naps are good.....learned this from Ron over the years.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jim:
      I used to love my coffee black. But then I realized I was missing out on so much doodling.

      Delete
  4. Mitcheell, it is very popular saiyng at my place.I got up on the wrong side of the bed this morning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gosia:
      I actually thought of you as I wrote the post. I wondered if it would be an expression you'd be familiar with.

      Delete
  5. Playing in your coffee, what more should a java aficionado do ( do do ~ lol)!
    Nothing better than steamed milk covering the coffee with an English/Spanish lesson thrown in.
    Hasta la vista baby! Sorry!
    Everyone has been having wonky dreams lately. I think it's because August has arrived. NO?
    Ron

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ron:
      August here means a huge portion of the Spanish population is on vacation... And THAT means they're all down here at the beach! Yep. Wonky dreams!

      Delete
  6. ... and it's clear, dear, you're my Worcestershire, dear...
    The Great Scot says I don't have dreams, I have movies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jacqueline:
      Wonder why Nat King Cole (among others) dropped those lyrics. (Maybe because Americans at that time would have said Wur-cest-ter-shyre.) I love what The Great Scot says. San Geraldo has movies, too. I have "shorts" and reruns.

      Delete
  7. I could never sleep in a bed that was up against a wall. I need to have a leg sticking out from the covers at all times.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stephen:
      Well, I did have one open side to the bed and I was sleeping solo. I also have to have a leg sticking out of the covers ... or my entire body.

      Delete
  8. The coffee couldn't look more like the continent of Africa if it was made deliberately. I thought I must look for shapes in my coffee, until I remembered I drink it black.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Andrew:
      I love the accidental art in the coffee cup. Sometimes I help it along with my spoon. But I couldn't believe when I was handed a cup of Africa.

      Delete
  9. Or, alternately:-
    ".....I had some dreams. They were clouds in my coffee....clouds in my coffee. You're so vain. You prob'ly think....."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Raybeard:
      That was my other song choice! So, now you probably think this post is about you. Don't you? Don't you now?

      Delete
  10. I can but hope, Mitch (ref your reply to my comment)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Raybeard:
      And now I can't remember... Did you have me severals ago when I was still quite naive?

      Delete

Please visit www.movingwithmitchell.com if you would like to comment or stay up to date. I stopped posting here and reproduced all previous posts, as well, 25 September 2018. Thanks!!!