Tuesday, January 27, 2015

Ron Miel... And Other Chupitos

Here in our part of Spain, a good glass of wine or beer costs between 1 and 2 euros. It's cheaper than drinking soda. San Geraldo can splurge on his non-alcoholic beverages. Since I always like to be thrifty, I've been having wine or beer with my meal.

(Click any image to increase the alcohol content.)

FOREGROUND: MY VINO DE MÁLAGA (SWEET WINE).
JUDY'S VINO FINO... AT MESON SALVADOR LAST WEEK.

Many restaurants offer free after-dinner drinks. They're called "chupitos," which means "shots." At Sandpiper, they're usually Bailey's Irish Cream. San Geraldo is a very light drinker. So, he takes a sip of his and I get the rest.

Meson Salvador usually serves Pionono (similar to Bailey's but made in only one place outside Córdoba). Lately, they've been serving Ron Miel. "Ron" means rum in Spanish. "Miel" means honey. It's delicious. San Geraldo isn't a huge fan. So I get two.

RON MIEL AT MESON SALVADOR.

Our favorite restaurant in Sevilla (we got back there for dinner during our last visit), Catalina Casa de Comidas, serves mini-gin and tonics. San Geraldo can't handle a full-sized gin & tonic. So he orders a mini before dinner and I then get to drink his after-dinner chupito... and my own.

CATALINA:  SAN GERALDO'S PRE-DINNER MINI GIN & TONIC.
MY GOLDFISH BOWL.

While living in Sevilla, we discovered a Mexican restaurant called Iguanas Ranas (Iguanas Frogs). Good Mexican food had been hard to find. This place is incredible. The Iguanas Ranas version of a chupito is a small Margarita. Delicious and the perfect size for me. San Geraldo drinks a bit of his. I get the rest.

When our friend Judyshannonstreetwhat (click here if you haven't met) was visiting, I usually had three chupitos after dinner.

MINI MARGARITAS A FEW WEEKS AGO AT IGUANAS RANAS, SEVILLA


Given all the chupitos I've been drinking, I might cut out the one I pay for. I don't want to wind up spending my money callin' everybody honey...

27 comments:

  1. Just another reason to go to Spain! Like I needed any more lol.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't mind calling anyone "Honey" if they buy me drinks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stephen:
      The problem in the song is calling everyone honey and paying for the drinks, too. Being on the receiving end wouldn't be bad.

      Delete
  3. So you must drink as much as posssible it is cheap and what a pleasure

    ReplyDelete
  4. I knew miel was honey and could hardly wait to see what you wrote.... Now down to business... I've been drinking a small (yes, small) glass of sherry after dinner and dishes etc are done. That's a "habit" I acquired in Sevilla... and, damn.... do I want to come back!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sharon:
      And, since your last visit, I've learned so much more about Spanish alcohol choices. Did I know about vino de naranja when you were here?

      Delete
  5. You could have mine as well and really save yourself some money! (Always happy to help.)

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great tradition! I'm talking about getting San Geraldo's glass. Wine is cheaper than water where we live, so we do our bit to economize. Bottoms up! Um...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Walt the Fourth:
      As you know by now, I am always budget conscious. So glad we can do our bits.

      Delete
  7. "a good glass of wine or beer costs between 1 and 2 euros."

    Yet another reason to move to Spain.
    Plus, Carlos is, again, like San Geraldo, so I'll get his, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bob:
      And then, you could quit drinking and I could have four!

      Delete
  8. I think, Mitchell, you have it made!
    I think this custom is brilliant and I bet it encourages more people to eat out.
    ron=rum.eh?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jim:
      I love those chupitos. And, yes, it's a wonderful custom. Very friendly.

      Delete
  9. I knew you two were a perfect pair, but this is just further proof. I would need a San Geraldo type, as I'm with you in this scenario. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Mmm, I'm a lightweight too, but I love Bailey's and margaritas. Not mixed together. That sounds weird. But if you'll drink the rest of mine, keep a bar stool warm for me. Thanks, Mitchell. I knew you're a good one. xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Robyn:
      Ugh at the thought of Bailey's and Margaritas. I would be delighted to keep a barstool warm for you!

      Delete
  11. Raaaannnnhhhhh! I got used to seeing your FB posts notifying your biggest fans of your latest blog post, and I was wondering where you had gone... I don't know why I didn't just come straight over here! I missed some great posts :) but, I'm all caught up, now, Loved them all, I can't believe how gorgeous the ceilings and walls are that you showed. I have a poster in my classroom of the two- tone Moorish arches. Just wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Judy:
      I don't know what happened. But apparently for quite some time now, all my facebook posts (which are simply my blog posts) have been going up privately. I couldn't figure out why no one was even liking my posts anymore, so finally checked the settings. Can't believe you already caught up with everything. You're a trooper!

      Delete
    2. But, you know, you have such interesting and fun posts, Mitchell-- they add a nice little "oomph" to life!

      Delete
    3. Judy:
      You always make me feel so good! Thanks a million! (A million what? That's a very good question. Find the answer and I'll give you two million.)

      Delete
  12. There are so many good reasons to visit Spain,but one major one is to try the wines.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Spo:
      And the churros and chocolate; and the food; and the produce...

      Delete
    2. OK, sold. I want to see Spain.

      Delete

Please visit www.movingwithmitchell.com if you would like to comment or stay up to date. I stopped posting here and reproduced all previous posts, as well, 25 September 2018. Thanks!!!