Sunday, March 22, 2015

My Boys' Lollipop

I didn't have many opportunities to shop while I was in New York, but I did manage to visit a few local shops to pick up some all-American sweets for our non-American friends.

This time, I found little "bouquets" of Tootsie Roll Pops, as well as Marshmallow Peeps — a traditional Easter-time goodie. They're called "Peeps" because the first ones produced in the 1950s were little chicks made out of marshmallow. In 1980, the Marshmallow Peeps bunny was introduced. The original Peeps came in pink, white, or yellow. Lavender Peeps appeared in 1995 and blue ones in 1998.

I found a gourmet version at It'Sugar (click here to see the store); yellow chicks dipped in chocolate (three to a pack and not cheap — pun intended). I also bought pink and yellow Bunny Peeps.

I learned from my mother's friends about Tootsie Pop miniatures. Sheila had some at her house from Halloween; and Rosalie told me they were the perfect size to double as Q-tips (cotton swabs). The next time she came for a visit, she brought me a bag. They're cute. But not only couldn't they satisfy a sweet tooth, they couldn't even fill a cavity.

"PEEPS" — BUNNIES AND CHOCOLATE-DIPPED CHICKS.
TOOTSIE ROLL POPS IN BUNCHES AND MINI TOOTSIE ROLL POPS.
MY BOYS LOVED THEIR MINI LOLLIPOP,
OF COURSE, I'D ONLY LET THEM SNIFF.
MOOSE'S TURN.
THEY DIDN'T EVEN TRY TO LICK IT.


Dedicated to My Boy Lollipop... (and Dudo and Moose, too).

23 comments:

  1. Enjoy your haul, assuming you bought some for yourself too. I know spring has arrived when I have traditional English sweets in the car. I pick them up at the garden centre

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anna:
      San Geraldo and I shared one package of dark-chocolate–dipped PEEPS. It's a good thing I didn't taste those earlier; no one else would have been given any.

      Delete
  2. OMG cats don't like sweets. but my daughters loves them so send to Katowice..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gosia:
      Well... they're all gone. Next time I return from the States, you'll have to arrange a visit to Spain!

      Delete
  3. Your cats likely think its a toy versus something they should eat :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheapchick:
      Oddly, they were just really intrigued by the smell.

      Delete
  4. Dudo has a definite "oh nooooo, the cavities!" look on his handsome face.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jacqueline:
      I was surprised by how much the smell intrigued them both. My next cologne purchase will have to be Eau du Tootsie Pop.

      Delete
  5. 'You make my heart go giddy-up'......always liked that tune!
    Have never heard of 'Peeps'....must be an American thing that never made it across the border.
    Now, Tootsie Rolls are another story....my childhood favourite!
    I wonder why cats are so fussy compared to dogs? Sophie would have had that Tootsie Pop gone before you knew it!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jim:
      I can't believe PEEPS never made it to Canada. I LOVE Tootsie Rolls, which is why I didn't buy any this time. These two cats especially are not very interested in most people food. Even when something drops on the floor in the kitchen, they just sniff it and walk away. (Although a piece of fish or some sandwich meat would be an entirely different story!)

      Delete
  6. My wife loves Peeps and I recently bought her a box of those pink bunnies. I didn't like them when I was a kid and I like them even less today. But my wife still loves them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stephen:
      If Mrs. C loves Peeps, you really need to find the dark-chocolate Peeps. Unbelievably good!

      Delete
  7. The feline boys! So happy to see them:)
    Chocolate-dipped peeps sound like an Easter S'more treat. Yumm:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Judy:
      The chocolate-dipped Peeps are SO good. And our boys make me so happy.

      Delete
  8. I used to open a box of peeps... let them sit for several days until they got kind of hard.... That's when they're good! The song... have you ever heard "Lollipop, Lollipop, oh lolli lolli lolli" etc.... by the Chordettes... maybe around 1958? Yeah... it's kind of a dumb song.... Who'da thought there'd be songs about lollipops?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sharon:
      Apparently, a lot of people prefer their Peeps slightly stale. They DO get a great texture that way. As for "Lollipop, Lollipop," I didn't use it this time because I thought I had used it a few years ago. But I can't find a post in my archives, so I think I may have been confused with my use of "Popsicle Toes."

      Delete
  9. There is a collection of Youtube videos on the theme of introducing the sweets from one country to another. The humor is seeing the familiar things looked upon with frowns and disapprovals. One man's lollipop is another man's bewilderment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Spo:
      Well, the chocolate-dipped Peeps were a huge hit. The Tootsie Pops and Tootsie Rolls, too. We'll see how the pink and yellow Peeps (sans chocolate) go over.

      Delete
  10. And I thought we were going to get the Chordettes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Walt the Fourth:
      There were so many choices. Did you know "My Boy Lollipop" is a hugely popular Jazz and Ska number? I didn't. It took a while but I finally came round to the original.

      Delete
  11. Discerning cats. I wouldn't lick it either.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bob:
      I won't touch that line with a 10-inch... lollipop.

      Delete

Please visit www.movingwithmitchell.com if you would like to comment or stay up to date. I stopped posting here and reproduced all previous posts, as well, 25 September 2018. Thanks!!!