Sunday, May 29, 2016

From Toledo to Corpus Christi

In the past few weeks we've gone from Toledo to Corpus Christi. And we haven't left Spain.

Corpus Christi is a "feast" celebrating the belief in the body and blood of Christ in the Eucharist (bread and wine). That's all the religion you'll get from me today.

I attended the festivities because Paula (Tynan and Elena's adored 13-year-old daughter who is a gifted oboe player) was marching at noon in Benalmádena Pueblo. Benalmádena is the town just east of us. Benalmádena Pueblo is the old town and a white village similar to Mijas Pueblo (click here).

A tradition at Corpus Christ is to adorn procession routes with intricate flower mosaics. The art on Calle Real was lovingly created in the morning and happily trod upon a few hours later. Other streets were strewn with carnations and greenery, terraces were adorned with elegant shawls and tapestries, walls were lined with flowers and plants.

It was promoted as the festival of Corpus Christi only because they couldn't publicly admit that all the festivities were in honor of our upcoming 5-year renewal (see yesterday's post).

(Click the images to see how big Benalmádena Pueblo went in our honor.)

MY FIRST VIEW FROM THE TOP OF CALLE REAL.

WORKING MY WAY DOWN CALLE REAL.
CONTINUING ALONG THE WAY.
REACHING THE END
(AND ALL BEFORE THE MAJOR CROWSD ARRIVED).
CALLE ALAMOS DECORATED AND STREWN WITH CARNATIONS AND GREENERY.
PLAZA DE ESPAÑA.
CALLE ALAMOS FROM THE OTHER DIRECTION.
LOCAL PRIVATE DISPLAYS OUTSIDE HOMES.
(ABOVE, AND THE TWO THAT FOLLOW.)


A LOCAL BROTHERHOOD'S TRIBUTE
ON PLAZA ANDALUCÍA.

AFTER THE PARADE PASSES BY.

OUR FAVORITE PAULA!
MY FEET AT THE END OF THE RAINBOW...

Sorry for the poor sound quality.
This band is really good!

A final note (and smile) from Paula...

14 comments:

  1. WOW! The passion for festivals/parades is so evident everywhere! Simply beautiful, Mitchell!
    I wouldn't know where to start photographing!

    'After the parade' when people walk all over the designs reminds me of the Tibetan Buddhist tradition of the 'Sand Mandala'.....nothing lasts forever/impermanence.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jim:
      I had the same thoughts of sand mandalas, which are exquisite. As for this wonderful country, so many joyous celebrations.

      Delete
  2. So many wonderful things go on in Spain!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Judy:
      I agree. And we haven't even skimmed the surface. So much to look forward to.

      Delete
  3. Spanish Catholicism is everything my Irish Protestant mother told it was - and more. And frankly though I might not believe in it I find it glorious! Thank you for taking us there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Willym:
      I can sometimes harbor anti-religioius feelings, but I respect other people's beliefs as long as they respect mine. But even without a "god" of my own, I can still really enjoy these beautiful and meaningful celebrations.

      Delete
  4. I never cease to marvel at the lovely colours you have in your place.

    ReplyDelete
  5. They blew out all the stops for you and SG! I can see why you are staying. ;-) What a fantastic event. What did the crushed petals smell like?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wilma:
      We're grateful and honored. The side streets had the lush smell of greens and carnations. I don't know how to describe it exactly, but it was beautiful. I didn't catch any special fragrance from the flower petal mosaics, but the streets were filled with the fragrance of church incense and grilling meat, which might have made it more difficult!

      Delete
  6. A Rose Parade you can walk on! Truly beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bob:
      And I didn't even have to watch some dumb football game either!

      Delete
  7. Great pictures. I've been reading a lot of Hemingway lately and thinking about you and Spain, Hemingway's favorite country.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stephen:
      I try to imagine how different it was in Hemingway's time (but before the Civil War). It's my favorite country, too!

      Delete

Please visit www.movingwithmitchell.com if you would like to comment or stay up to date. I stopped posting here and reproduced all previous posts, as well, 25 September 2018. Thanks!!!