Sunday, May 15, 2016

Holy Toledo, Spain

Construction of Toledo's Cathedral (in case you haven't been paying attention,* that's the original Toledo, in Spain) began in 1226 (when Spain was ruled by San Geraldo's 22-greats grandfather King Ferdinand III).

Construction was completed in 1493.

Modifications were made and a breathtaking art collection grew over the centuries.

San Geraldo's relatives are no longer in charge. But, two are buried in the main chapel.

(Click the images to glorify.)



IMPRESSIVE.
LEFT: THE FIRST ARCHBISHOP.
(WHAT'S THE SECOND ARCHBISHOP LOOKING AT?!?)
PORTRAITS OF ALL FORMER ARCHBISHOPS CIRCLE THE ROOM.
THAT'S THE MOST RECENT FORMER ARCHBISHOP AT RIGHT.
CARDINAL CISNEROS (RIGHT).
GRAND INQUISITOR, CASTILLE, 1507–1517.

"EL TRANSPARENTE." POSSIBLY THE MOST EXQUISITE OF THE CATHEDRAL.
ILLUMINATED BY WINDOW CUT INTO ITS CENTER...
... AND A HUGE SKYLIGHT OPPOSITE.

I LIKED THESE STAIRS IN THE CLOISTER.
FRESCO RESTORATION.
FROM THE CLOISTER.
GREAT-GREAT-GREAT-GREAT-GREAT-GREAT-GREAT-GREAT-GREAT-
GREAT-GREAT-GREAT-GREAT-GREAT-GREAT-GREAT-GREAT-GREAT-GREAT-
GREAT-GREAT-GREAT GRANDPA FERNANDO.**

* What I should have said instead of "in case you haven't been paying attention" was "to clarify" or "in case you're wondering." Sorry if anyone was offended by my attempt to be clever, which came off as snotty.

**I really expected them to give us the statue. To keep it in the family, you know?!? They'd still have a number of paintings of Grandpa. And Sevilla's got the body and various personal items, including his ermine cape. Just a thought.

18 comments:

  1. Frankly, I'd have given "The Saint" a relic or two... maybe a finger bone or something. Afterall, keep it in the family. I'd LOVE to visit there and see that cathedral.... one of these days....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sharon:
      If not the statue, you'd think Sevilla would hand over the ermine cape.

      Delete
  2. Geesh! One would think that would be the least they could do....for a relative!
    What a cathedral, Mitchell! One could spend hours there looking at all that detail. Funny that a few Archbishops/Cardinals are looking in another direction!!
    Great photos, thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jim:
      I found the positioning of the archbishops interesting. Wonder what the message was.

      Delete
  3. So did you take a picture of San Geraldo with Grandpa? Submit that and they should see the family resemblance!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheapchick:
      Oh, that's what Photoshop is for. I've got plans!

      Delete
  4. Spanish and french churches are so gothic..they creep me out

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. John:
      This one was pretty amazing. Some very strange art and sculptures (skulls, stabbings) but also amazing art.

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. Spo:
      Sorry about that! That wasn't intentional. Sometimes I think I'm funnier or more clever than I actually am!

      Delete
  6. You'd think he'd be made an archbishop himself, at the very least.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sharon:
      Oh, he was an archbishop of Toledo. He was later named a Cardinal of the Holy Roman Church!

      Delete
  7. The craftsmanship and detail is just stunning BUT ...
    Is this a dig?
    "in case you haven't been paying attention, that's the original Toledo, in Spain"
    =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bob:
      Definitely did NOT mean that as a dig. I thought I was being clever. Instead, it just sounds snotty. That oughta teach me!

      Delete
    2. I thought it was high-larious!

      Delete
    3. Bob:
      Thanks! I felt so badly afterward. Now you can see why I'll never be mistaken for Tallulah Bankhead.

      Delete
  8. Yup...understand that ancestral trail completely. My greats include Henry I of England and his daddy, William the Conqueror, plus several of the Norman and Saxon kings who preceded him, as well as Emperor Constantine, plus a couple of saints back in there somewhere. I am, however, an American mutt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Page:
      I find the ancestry so fascinating. It makes the history so much more meaningful. You and San Geraldo are clearly related! If he could even find my ancestors beyond the 1700s, I'm sure they weren't even the servants of his (or your) ancestors.

      Delete

Please visit www.movingwithmitchell.com if you would like to comment or stay up to date. I stopped posting here and reproduced all previous posts, as well, 25 September 2018. Thanks!!!