Wednesday, May 25, 2016

Mijas Pueblo: A White Village

Andalusia is noted for, among so many things, its Pueblos Blancos (White Villages). There is a series of famed pueblos blancos along a recommended route through the northern parts of Cádiz and Málaga provinces. The villages are characterized by whitewashed walls and traditional red/brown tile roofs. Some were settled in prehistoric times and the cave paintings can still be seen. Roman ruins, ancient defensive walls, charm, and amazing vistas.

We have our own beautiful example here in the south just 7 kilometres away in the mountains and it's called Mijas Pueblo. It's a 10 minute car, bus, or taxi ride and it's taken me more than three years to get there. Judyshannonstreetwhat and I visited Mijas Pueblo Monday. From the top, we could see our home in Fuengirola, which seemed ages away.

And there was great shopping and seriously good food, too!  Food photos are still to come.

(Click the images for grander views.)










16 comments:

  1. What a charming little place in the perfect setting! Love that 'church ruins' (?)
    Must be cool in those houses/buildings being all white and all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jim:
      That is called the Shrine of the Virgin of the Rock and was built in the rocks by a Carmelite monk in the mid-1600s.

      Delete
  2. It's only 10 minutes away, and it took you 3 years to get there? Man, I thought I was a slow walker, Mitchell.
    It looks very cool and pretty, though, so I'm glad you finally made it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Robyn:
      Did you see the hill I had to climb? It would take you 3 years, too!

      Delete
  3. A truly a very attractive village, as are the asses hitched to rail. I must not ask and I won't....... except, do they have proper saddles or does the rider clench the rope with their knees?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heron:
      The "saddle" is what you see in the photo. But I didn't see much clenching. They were awfully cooperative. There are also burro taxis (they pull carts).

      Delete
  4. It all looks very summery and resort-y to me. Ah, a nice lazy week in the sun can do a body good. But there is work to be done here in soggy middle France. To the mud pits!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Walt the Fourth:
      The huge tour buses were lined up below the main plaza. So glad I got to see it on a fairly quiet day before "season." I don't imagine it's as pleasant in summer. Blue skies, sunshine, and summer temps here.

      Delete
  5. Great that you could avoid the crowds.

    ReplyDelete
  6. One of my best memories from our trip to SPain (apart from meeting you, of course!) was riding horses through a white village. SO beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Knatolee:
      And those photos really showed how wonderful it was.

      Delete
  7. What a beautiful place! I just love learning about all of these great places, from you, Mitchell!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Judy:
      I had hard Mijas Pueblo was beautiful but I wasn't prepared for this. Breathtaking and charming!

      Delete
    2. Next trip!! I will put it on my list. :)

      Delete

Please visit www.movingwithmitchell.com if you would like to comment or stay up to date. I stopped posting here and reproduced all previous posts, as well, 25 September 2018. Thanks!!!