Monday, May 23, 2016

Toledo Trinkets And Tasty Treats

Although I have perhaps another 400 photos from Toledo, I've decided to save you the agony. You've seen enough here (for now at least). However, we did buy ourselves some trinkets at a very special shop owned by a very special couple. The shop is called Arte and it can be found on Calle Hombre de Palo, 19 (a short street behind the Cathedral).

Toledo is known for its Damasquinado or Damasquina (in English, Damascene). It's the art of decorating steel with threads of gold and silver — and also known as Toledo Gold. Toledo is famous for this handicraft, which is used on everything from swords (Toledo steel), knives, scissors, and other sharp instruments I try to avoid; as well as for jewelry, platters, art, and much more.

Judy bought herself a watch with a beautifully intricate bracelet band, as well as a couple of pairs of exquisite scissors for sewing.

I bought myself a wrist band/bracelet (pulsera in Spanish) and a couple of pairs of earrings.

The earrings are for the two holes in my left ear that My Mother The Dowager Duchess forbade me to pierce in 1994 (when I was 40). Months later, the first time she saw me with my ear pierced, she complained that my earrings were too small!



Although what I chose for myself was not tourist-grade trash (thats not available at Arte) it was very simply done and inexpensive. San Geraldo and I first found Arte on our own. What drew us in was a window display of some beautifully done glass pieces containing Klimt images. We ended up buying a candle holder that stands about six inches (15 cm) tall.

KLIMT'S "THE WOMAN IN GOLD."

Toledo is also known for its Marzipan (mazapan). I had never been much of a fan of marzipan, appreciating it only as art because I didn't realize there was more to it than the fruit forms in fruit colors. Then I discovered Spanish mazapan! Below is the box I bought at a very special shop called Santa Tomé. Don't expect to get a taste. They're gone. San Geraldo didn't even get a taste. I thought he didn't like mazapan. I swear! I really thought he didn't like it. Honest!

But I'm not as bad as Judyshannonstreetwhat. She bought a box of mazapan and said she was going to give it to Tynan and Elena (Note: Not share with, give to).

A few days later, Judy admitted the plan had changed since there wasn't much left in the box.

The reason? "Well, I was worried it wouldn't stay fresh after it was opened."

THE BOX.
AFTER I REMOVED THE SEAL FROM OURS ... MINE.
I THEN ALSO WORRIED IT WOULD LOSE ITS FRESHNESS.


Because I love Laura Nyro and because she says "marzipan" around 4 minutes and 12 seconds into this 5-minute and 7-second song...

24 comments:

  1. LOVE the 'trinkets'!
    That box of goodies looks so decadent.....no wonder you had forgotten Gerry liked them too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jim:
      I am sure he told me a long time ago that he didn't like marzipan. He can't remember! Anyway, I did him a favor. He lost 5 pounds while we were in Toledo!

      Delete
  2. Remind me to get rich and go trinket-shopping with you some day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cranky:
      No need to get reach. I love sales and bargains. San Geraldo wants to know what's wrong with it if it's not full price or expensive. Stick with me. The bracelet was the big splurge at 25 euros.

      Delete
  3. Fine looking jewelry and marzipan! I could eat that entire box of marzipan in one sitting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wilma:
      Oh, I have so much more self-control than you!

      Delete
  4. my austrian grandmother loved marzipan, and so do I. I can find dark chocolate covered marzipan at my aldi store.

    your jewelry selection is fabu!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. anne marie:
      I wasn't in the mood for chocolate (gasp) or I would have gotten some of that, too!

      Delete
  5. Love the wrist band. Gorgeous. I, too, have two holes in one lobe, but alas, I have stopped adorning myself with ear jewels!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bob:
      I tend to wear the same earrings over and over again. I'm trying to expand my horizons.

      Delete
  6. A very tasteful post. Or should that be tasty? I know that you know that I just saw the original "Woman in Gold" at the Neue Gallery in NY... I almost got a photo, but a rather tall guy moved into the way before I could focus. Then the docent moved in to tell me not to take photos. Sheesh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Walt the Fourth:
      The Woman In Gold is getting a lot of attention right now. I'm sure it was your blog post that prompted it.

      Delete
  7. Ah' yes Marzipan another of my down falls. Delicious, Delectable and so very Desirable !
    I'm not one for wearing personal jewellery, well not now and when I was younger pieces always seemed fall off me or perhaps I was careless....
    Toledo Steel wonderful material and great stay sharp culinary knives.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heron:
      Culinary has something to do with cooking I'm pretty certain. I like the jewelry!

      Delete
  8. I had never tried marzipan until moving here to Germany last year. I am still developing a taste for it - not my favorite. The taste is a bit too strong. Greetings from Bavaria!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OE:
      I wonder if there's a difference between German and Spanish marzipan. Hope you're enjoying Bavaria. We were just talking this morning about ancestors who came from there!

      Delete
  9. I don't remember ever tasting marzipan... like you, I thought it was for fancy decorations I don't think Bill would like it (right)... maybe we better plan a trip to Spain so I can try the real thing. Love the candleholder....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sharon:
      My mother told me not to ruin the candle holder by melting a candle in it. But it came with an aluminum-encased votive. Not to worry. I think you're long overdue for another visit to Spain.

      Delete
  10. The Carmelite nuns in San Antonio (TX) used to make the most amazing little marzipan things. I remember not only fruits but even a large sculpture of a lamb sitting on a family-size marzipan Bible. That one looked too beautiful to eat, but we sliced it up anyway.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Michael:
      I did see some huge sculptural forms. Amazing. One of these days.

      Delete
  11. For some strange reason i hate earings on men and bracelets too
    The prof loves em

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. John:
      Oh, you're just too butch. But, I figure it's my biker look (although I doubt many bikers wear damascene earrings and bracelets).

      Delete
  12. How cool that this jewelry is a specialty of Toledo! I don't think that St.Louis has any handicraft-of-quality that it would be known by... Toasted Ravioli, yes, gold and silver, no:)
    Have you seen the Helen Mirren film about the lawsuit by the family to get "The Woman In Gold" back for the family?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Judy:
      I did a search (or three) trying to find what you might buy in St Louis. Arch magnets! And Arch T--shirts, Arch coffee mugs, Arch bottle openers, Arch can openers, Arch drinking glasses... I could go on and on. I haven't yet seen the Helen Mirren film and would love to. That's clearly why the painting is getting so much attention lately.

      Delete

Please visit www.movingwithmitchell.com if you would like to comment or stay up to date. I stopped posting here and reproduced all previous posts, as well, 25 September 2018. Thanks!!!