Sunday, February 26, 2017

Cazuelas and Abuelas

Today ends Fuengirola's annual restaurant event called "La Cazuela de la Abuela," which means "Grandma's Casserole." Sixty-three restaurants participated offering their own special tapa-size casserole. All I needed to do was sample five and I could then vote for the best, and get entered in a great prize drawing. Except for sampling Meson Salvador's entry, we missed the rest of the competition. But it doesn't really matter because, in my humble opinion, Meson Salvador is always the best at everything anyway.

LEFT TO RIGHT: MY MATERNAL, HIS MATERNAL, HIS PATERNAL, AND MY PATERNAL GRANDMOTHER.

On the subject of abuelas and casseroles, my paternal grandmother died when I was very young. All I remember was her coaxing me out from behind my mother's back by giving me candies from a cut glass bowl — raspberry hard candies with liquid centers. I, therefore, loved her.

My maternal grandmother was an amazing cook, but I don't remember a single casserole.

San Geraldo's paternal grandmother was born and raised in South Dakota, so I'm sure she made plenty of casseroles in her time. However, in South Dakota, casseroles were called "Hot Dish." At a potluck supper, people were told to bring "Hot Dish" — not "a" hot dish, but "Hot Dish." As Jerry's Norwegian maternal grandmother would say, "More funny America."

(Click the pics to make your mouth water...)

ABUELA (GRANDMA) OUT FRONT PROMOTING THE EVENT.
LA CAZUELA DE LA ABUELA. DELICIOUS!
(POTATOES, A VARIETY OF FRESH MUSHROOMS, AND CRUNCHY HAM).
TRADITIONAL SPANISH POTATO TORTILLA.
BREAD THAT WAS SIMPLY TOO GOOD.
REBANADA ESPECIAL.
(BREAD SLICE TOPPED WITH OLIVE OIL, IBERIAN HAM,  AND QUAIL EGGS.)

Beyond the exceptional food and atmosphere, what makes Meson Salvador the best in the world is the staff. They call us "family" and they mean it. After a recent meal, Adrián brought us our complementary chupitos (shots of liquor). They serve "Pionono," similar to Bailey's Irish Cream only a whole lot better.

Since San Geraldo rarely drinks alcohol, Adrián brought him something non-alcoholic, a blackberry (mora) beverage. It's what they serve to children. San Geraldo made a face when he tasted it, so Adrián got a straw and helped him drink it.

SAN GERALDO AND ADRIÁN.
I ASKED SAN GERALDO TO MOVE HIS HAND OUT OF THE WAY FOR MY PHOTO.
THIS IS HOW TYNAN AND ELENA HELPED.
THAT'S WHEN I TAUGHT ADRIÁN THE MEANING OF THE ENGLISH TERM "SMART ASS."

19 comments:

  1. You had good "help". That is mora drink is sure purple.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wilma:
      The drink wasn't bad... at first. Then it became a bit too "purple tasting"!

      Delete
  2. Love San Geraldo's help. I wouldn't mind that at all!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Replies
    1. Debra:
      We had such a good time. Just what we needed.

      Delete
  4. different ladies but all are nice

    ReplyDelete
  5. All the food looks so delicious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cat Lover:
      You can't go wrong there. Always delicious and we always feel so loved.

      Delete
  6. I loved the tortilla from spain, one of my favorite dishes. My maternal Grandmother was a firecracker who had 7 kids, was 4 foot nothing with boobs down to her knees (not kidding) and who drank a whisky a day until the day she died at 86.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheapchick:
      This is an especially good traditional Spanish tortilla. I love them, too. None of our grandmothers drank a whiskey a day, but when my grandmother was around 85 her doctor told her a shot of schnapps at night wouldn't hurt. So she had a shot every night before bed. "Doctor's orders," she said.

      Delete
  7. Great to meet the grandmamas! I am wondering what they would have thought of your food selections here?
    Meson Salvador sounds like a very welcoming place.....the smiles tell all!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jim:
      My maternal grandmother wouldn't have approved. Jerry's paternal grandmother would have tried everything.

      Delete
  8. Casseroles were not big in my family growing up. I still don't particularly care for them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stephen:
      Casseroles weren't big in my family either. I don't know if my mother ever even made one. I like them. An entire meal in one pot.

      Delete
  9. How nice of Adrián to help, nice young man!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Travel:
      Adrian, like all the staff, is a sweetheart and also hilarious.

      Delete

Please visit www.movingwithmitchell.com if you would like to comment or stay up to date. I stopped posting here and reproduced all previous posts, as well, 25 September 2018. Thanks!!!