Thursday, February 23, 2017

Deliciousness ... and Crap

Chef San Geraldo hasn't cooked dinner at home in months, not since before we headed to New York in August. The mood just hasn't been right. But, Tuesday morning he decided it was time to change all that. (Click the images to make things really delicious.)

THE DELICIOUS DUDO AND MOOSE BEING FLASHED DURING THE NIGHT.
DUDO'S NATURAL EYE-LINER.

He roasted a chicken, sauteed gorgeous mushrooms, steamed some fresh vegetables, and even made a cranberry apple chutney from cranberries picked up at Ana Crespillo's market. Unlike the huge bags of seasonal cranberries we used to buy in the States, cranberries here come in tiny little containers and cost a small fortune. A major treat.

My stomach started to feel a little funny (and not ha-ha funny) early in the afternoon. Maybe it was the excitement of the dinner to come. By Tuesday night when the beautiful meal was prepared I had already spent my time either on the pot or in bed and there was no way I was going to be eating anything. San Geraldo had to go it alone. I drank water.

CRANBERRY APPLE CHUTNEY... WHAT'S LEFT.

I spent almost the entire day in bed Wednesday. I did have a small piece of left-over chicken in the afternoon. That night? Toast.

Today has been a better day. I've had breakfast and lunch. San Geraldo made grilled ham and cheese sandwiches on brown bread. We topped them off with the cranberry relish. Delicious.

And, so far so good.

For someone who is the picture of fitness and health (according to me), I sure have had a crappy (and not just figuratively) couple of months! Before my "heavy cold" in January that lasted two weeks and turned out in fact to be the flu, I spent a week with terrible digestion woes (explosive) as a result of an adverse reaction to a medication. But that's all behind me now! (Ahem...)

Anyway, back to the subject of delicious: A couple of things I enjoyed before the creeping crud hit.

TARTA DE MANZANA AT RESTAURANTE PRIMAVERA.
(APPLE PIE/TART.)
TARTA DE QUESO AT MESON SALVADOR.
(CHEESECAKE.)

Cranberry Apple Chutney Recipe
SAN GERALDO USED MORE THAN 8 OUNCES OF FRESH CRANBERRIES INSTEAD OF CRAISINS.

24 comments:

  1. Ooooh, the chutney sounds fabulous... well, San Geraldo's whole feast sound yummy, as well as the grilled ham and cheese on brown bread.
    So sorry you were sick again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Judy:
      I was a misery this week! San Geraldo was so good to me. I do better with major illness than I do with minor ones, but I'll stick with the minor ones anyway! The chicken was delicious and the chutney really is exceptional. I imagine it would be really good as originally written (dried cranberries) -- more sweet, too.

      Delete
  2. Tis that time of year....flu/colds everywhere. Because you are fit (to be tied....lol) you should bounce back quickly, Mitch. Especially with that cheesecake and apple pie almost still in your system!!
    Your kitties are adorable!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jim:
      I was feeling so fit. Walking miles ever day. Exercising. I plan to be back at it tomorrow. And, yes, our kitties are adorable. Just ask them. When I say, "Are you adorable?," they roll their heads into that upside down flirt position. Manipulators.

      Delete
  3. The recipe would be more appealing if it didn't follow your account of EXPLOSIVE DIARRHEA. Just sayin.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mystery:
      Now, all I said was "explosive." Who told you to go and complete the phrase???

      Delete
  4. currently sick meself with acute asthmatic bronchitis and acute sinusitis. going around...get well soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. anne marie:
      Oh you poor thing. That is so much worse than what I've had and I'll bet you're whining a hell of a lot less. Take good care and feel completely better very quickly.

      Delete
  5. You do not have enough flesh on your bones to be sick a couple of times in two months...you need to take care of yourself my friend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheapchick:
      I used to lose 10 pounds overnight with illnesses like this. I didn't have a pound to spare.

      Delete
  6. What terrible timing for you to miss out on such a fine meal! Hope you are better now. We are having leftover homemade pizza tonight topped with caramelized onions, tomatoes, and mushrooms along with cheese and smoked turkey sausage. Dennis made a ripe plantain bread pudding and rum sauce for dessert. I better not get sick beforehand ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wilma:
      Your meal and dessert sound wonderful! I'm back to enjoying my food again.

      Delete
  7. "That's all behind me now."
    As it should be!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I do like cranberries and just might give your chutney a try. Glad you're feeling better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stephen:
      Doing great now, thanks! The chutney is definitely worth a try.

      Delete
  9. Ah, fresh cranberries. Haven't seen 'em in years. They're not something French people out in the country know. We can get "craisins" though, so at least there's that. Glad you're feeling better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Walt the Fourth:
      Ana has cranberries every year but they're like gold. No big bags of Ocean Spray here.

      Delete
  10. Going to have to try the chutney - sounds very very good. Hope the tummy returns to normal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Willym:
      Yesterday was a very good day and all is well again. Thanks.

      Delete
  11. So sorry you had to miss out on S.G's feast .It sounds delicious.
    Dudo and Moose are spectacular! I have a thing for tuxedo cats.
    Be well Mitchell.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cat Lover:
      Dudo and Moose ARE spectacular. And Moose spends much of his time telling us so.

      Delete
  12. So you are saying you have not eaten dinner in months? New diet or decided to live on 2 meals a day. Too much eating out at restaurants can upset my stomach.
    Hope you are feeling better Spring is coming.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Laurent:
      No, I rarely miss a dinner. It's just that every dinner in recent memory has been at a restaurant. Two glorious days here and I AM feeling a lot better. Thanks!

      Delete

Please visit www.movingwithmitchell.com if you would like to comment or stay up to date. I stopped posting here and reproduced all previous posts, as well, 25 September 2018. Thanks!!!