Saturday, April 22, 2017

Calle Rago?


Leave it to San Geraldo. We were driving home after shopping for new pots and pans Friday afternoon. Neither of us was in the most pleasantly gracious social mood. In San Geraldo's case, he was having one of his "I hate humanity" days. So, when an idiot driver jumped out in front of us he muttered some unrepeatables and I said he should pull over so I could jump out and go all gangster on the guy. As if!

San Geraldo muttered, "Calle rago."

Momentary silence from my side of the car.

"Calle rago?" I repeated.

San Geraldo snickered and said, "Road rage."

On the one hand, "calle" in Spanish means "street." On the other hand, "rago" in Spanish... well, it isn't a word (as far as I know).

San Geraldo said, "See? I'm fluent in Spanish. I can say anything."

If fluency is defined as: "able to express oneself easily...," San Geraldo is definitely fluent. He expresses himself very easily. It's just that no one ever understands him.

By the way, one way of saying "road rage" in Spanish is "rabia en la carretera."

Ironically, "rago" in American urban slang means "whatever."


Déjelo a San Geraldo. Estábamos conduciendo a casa el viernes por la tarde. Ninguno de nos dos estaba en el estado de ánimo social más agradablemente gracioso.  En el caso de San Geraldo, estaba teniendo uno de sus días de "Odio a la humanidad". Así que, cuando un conductor idiota saltó delante de nosotros, San Geraldo murmuró algunos irrepetibles y yo le dije que se detuviera para que yo pudiera saltar e ir todo el gángster. ¡Como si!

Entonces San Geraldo murmuró: "Calle rago".

Hubo un silencio momentáneo de mi lado del coche.

"Calle rago?" repetí.

San Geraldo soltó una risita y dijo: "Road rage." [que significa 'rabia en la carretera'] "Veo, soy fluido en español; puedo decir cualquier cosa".

Si la fluidez se define como: "capaz de expresarse fácilmente ...", San Geraldo es definitivamente fluido. Se expresa muy fácilmente. Es que nadie lo entiende.

Irónicamente, "rago" en el diccionário urbano (americano) significa "lo que sea".


I SAY, "HUH?"
YO DIGO, "¿EH?"
RAGO!

26 comments:

  1. I was once scolded, if we let everyone make up a word, we would run out space in the dictionary! I responded, with a, "what a bidget!"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Travel:
      That's what you say when you get a digit stuck in a bidet. Oh bidget!!!

      Delete
  2. I would be like San Geraldo; I'd make up a phrase ot two to suit my needs.
    And, as we're about to set out for the day, I may well use "calle rago" to see what reaction I get!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bob:
      Given Carlos' penchant for creative speech, he might even understand calle rago.

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Debra:
      I suppose it does. But Jerry could write his own new and expanded Spanglish dictionary.

      Delete
  4. I know what me means. I hate driving in New Jersey, the worst, singled hand state of drivers in the county. Rude, no driving etiquette and apparently don't follow the driver rules and do what they want. Far as I'm concerned they should just take this state away. Who'd miss it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. mistress maddie:
      Being originally a New York driver, I remember always commenting when we saw New Jersey plates (like, "Watch out! Jersey driver!") I don't know if that was ever based n reality. Then I moved to Boston. The scariest driving I had seen in the States at that time (still didn't compare to Italy). THEN I met Jerry's family in South Dakota. They had the same reaction to Iowa drivers as New Yorkers did to New Jersey drivers. They said IOWA stood for Idiots Out Wandering Around. I wonder what Iowa drivers think of South Dakota drivers.

      Delete
  5. Calle rago......I like it. It may catch on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Linda:
      It's already an official phrase around our house!

      Delete
  6. is that wee jerry at the end? or yourself? I KNOW it's not moose or dudo!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. anne marie:
      That's me (practicing my reactions to Jerry).

      Delete
  7. I thought that was you in the photo Mitchell. You two always amuse me!
    Have a nice evening.
    Robin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Robin:
      I think I look pretty much the same. I just had more hair back then.

      Delete
  8. Learning the nuances of a foreign language must be a challenge. I'm impressed by anyone who can speak more than one language.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stephen:
      When Jerry speaks English it sometimes sounds like he's speaking more than one language.

      Delete
  9. You'll have to practice up on your "Street Whatever". Your Jerry kills me lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheapchick:
      He is so entertaining... and such a good sport.

      Delete
  10. I am learning whenever I practice my budding Spanish at work the ladies are too polite (but their faces give it away) I am learning Spanish that nobody uses. I ask them 'what word do you use" and they tell me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Spo:
      I'm sure I get the same reaction often. And I could ask 5 people how to say road rage in Spanish and I'd get 5 different answers. It's no different when someone asks us how to say something in English and we give two different answers.

      Delete
  11. Funny... I've never heard the idea of "road rage" expressed in French. I know it well from the US, of course.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Walt the Fourth:
      There are so many different ways to say it in Spanish, but I get the impression it's not as commonly used (at least not down here).

      Delete
  12. You do look rather dumbfounded in that photo!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wilma:
      I was already preparing myself for life with Jerry.

      Delete
  13. See! You two were meant for each other!
    Did Jerry quickly regain 'his road rage' skills soon after your new car purchase? Or did he have to practice?! lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jim:
      Fortunately, Jerry has never really suffered from road rage. What he has might be called "Parkway Profanity."

      Delete

Please visit www.movingwithmitchell.com if you would like to comment or stay up to date. I stopped posting here and reproduced all previous posts, as well, 25 September 2018. Thanks!!!