Thursday, April 6, 2017

Hoopoe Abubilla Upopa Epops

La versión en español está después de la versión en inglés.

I walked for two hours Wednesday afternoon. My usual walk is flat and easy, so I want to make things a bit more challenging and hit some different muscles. My walk in the countryside the other day had its share of ups and downs. Wednesday, I walked to Sohail Castle (built in 956 AD) and back. The castle sits atop a steep hill. On my way back down the hill I spotted a very flashy bird I had never seen before. Then another flew into sight (the baby, I think). They were cautious but not skittish, so I was able to get a bunch of pictures.

I couldn't wait to get home and show San Geraldo the pictures. He immediately identified the bird as a Hoopoe (Latin name: Upopa Epops; Abubilla in Spanish). I had such a great walk and was so happy to see these beautiful birds that my cheeks are sore from all the smiling.

And my other cheeks also hurt a bit from all the climbing.

But, as an old friend used to say, "It's a nice hurt!"


Anduve por dos horas el miércoles. Mi caminata típica es plana y fácil, así que quiero hacer caminatas un poco mas difíciles al subir y bajar. Mi paseo por el campo el otro día tuvo su parte de altibajos. El miércoles, caminé hacia el Castillo Sohail (construido en 956) y regresé. El castillo se encuentra en lo alto de una colina empinada. En mi camino de vuelta por la colina vi un pájaro muy notable que nunca había visto antes. Entonces otro voló a la vista (el bebé, creo). Ellos eran cautelosos pero no asustadizo, así que pude conseguir un montón de fotografías.

Quería llegar a casa y mostrar a San Geraldo las fotos. Inmediatamente dijo que el pájaro era una Abubilla (Hoopoe en inglés; en latín: Upopa Epops). Tuve un gran paseo y estaba tan contento de ver estas hermosas aves que mis mejillas son dolor de todos los sonriendo.

Y mis otras mejillas (las nalgas) también dolían un poco de toda la escalada.

Pero, como diría un viejo amigo, "¡Es un buen dolor!"

THE VIEW OF THE GROUNDS TO THE WEST OF THE CASTLE (EXCAVATIONS DATING BACK TO 300 BCE).
LA VISTA DEL PARQUE AL OESTE DEL CASTILLO (EXCAVACIONES DE 300 AC).






Hurts so good!
¡Duela tan bien!

27 comments:

  1. Could you repeat that!?
    What a beautiful couple those birds are!! Almost looks like our 'Pilated Woodpecker' here in Nova Scotia. Maybe distant cousins on their mother's side....lol!
    I like those 'nice hurts' as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jim:
      I can repeat it only if I cut and paste it. When it flashed in I thought it was some kind of woodpecker, but check out that curved beak. It's not very big either, maxing out at no more than 29 cm (11 inches). They're a Eurasian bird and live year-round on the northern coast of Morocco, Algeria, and Tunisia, and in Southern Spain. They summer throughour much of Europe. Apparently they don't often raise their crests like in my last photo. Exciting!

      Delete
  2. pretty birds! and that first pix - muy bueno! I wanna be there RIGHT NOW!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. anne marie:
      I almost didn't share that first pic. So glad I did. I need to remember to appreciate what I see every day!

      Delete
  3. Those birds are beautiful!!! Was this the first time you saw one? And did they make noise? They look like they would have a delicate warble. Also the one looks small, wonder if its a baby.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. mistress maddie:
      The first time I saw one. Jerry had been hoping to see one and thought we'd have to go into the countryside. They have a very unusual call that I did hear before I saw the first one. And, yes, I really do think that was a young bird. Youtube has recordings of the bird call (that I heard).

      Delete
  4. Lovely pics....well worth the extra effort.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Linda:
      It was a great walk to begin with. Seeing the hoopoes made it unforgettable.

      Delete
  5. Hi Mitchell, what an amazing bird! You took terrific photos. What beautiful places you have to walk.
    Glad your cheeks were hurting in a nice way.
    Take care.
    Robin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Robin:
      I was pleased with the photos given that they were constantly on the move and the light wasn't quite right. I figure a workout isn't successful unless I hurt just a tiny bit for a couple of day. My cheeks have been fully aware of the attention they've been getting!

      Delete
  6. Ooooh - I have always wanted to see a hoopoe in person! You had a gorgeous day for your strenuous walk.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wilma:
      The walk wasn't even strenuous! I have to get an earlier start. If I continue 5 minutes passed the castle, I'm completely out of town and on a walkway next to the highway for a while. The coastline is incredible from there. I didn't even know about the hoopoe. Jerry has wanted to see one since we moved here. He'll just have to come walking with me!

      Delete
  7. Very cool! Birds are one of my favorite things to take pictures of - and a lot of fun to spot. You lucky guy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheapchick:
      Jerry and I were avid birders in the States. Now that we have a car, we're planning to start up again. A whole new world!

      Delete
  8. I've never seen birds like the ones in your pictures. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stephen:
      I just shared this in a response above: They're a Eurasian bird and live year-round on the northern coast of Morocco, Algeria, and Tunisia, and in Southern Spain. They summer throughout much of Europe. Jerry has wanted to see one and thought we'd have to go into the countryside in search of them. I didn't even know about them.

      Delete
  9. I'm with AM! That first pic shrieks vacation.
    And the bird pictures are just amazing ... the birds and the photography.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bob:
      It's so odd. I've taken shots of that view before and never thought anyone would find them interesting. I guess I need to wake up and smell the roses... or something.

      Delete
  10. The birds are stunning! :) I too love the nice hurt. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Snoskred:
      I'm still so excited about seeing those birds.... and I still have that nice hurt.

      Delete
  11. Cool! Hoopoes visit us from time to time. We hear them more often than we see them. The first time I saw one in our back yard, I rushed to the bird books to see if I could identify it. I looked and looked, then finally noticed: that darned bird is featured on the cover of two of our bird books!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Walt the Fourth:
      I had heard the hoopoes for about 20 minutes but had no idea what I was hearing. Great story about the bird books!

      Delete
  12. Replies
    1. Ron:
      And they live here year-round! Now I'll be looking for them all the time.

      Delete

Please visit www.movingwithmitchell.com if you would like to comment or stay up to date. I stopped posting here and reproduced all previous posts, as well, 25 September 2018. Thanks!!!