Monday, April 10, 2017

Monkey Fish / Pescado De Mono

La versión en español está después de la versión en inglés.


When we lived in Sevilla from 2011 to 2013, we lived above one of the best and most popular seafood tapas restaurants in town. The restaurant was Dos de Mayo and the manager's name was Paco. He is charming, hardworking, a great team leader, and a natural comic. His English at the time was limited but he loved to try.

Customers ordered at the bar and then picked up the food when it was ready. There was a speaker system so people outside could hear when their orders were ready. One evening, San Geraldo grabbed a stand-up table outside and I went in to order our food. I then waited with San Geraldo. Soon, Paco proudly annnounced, "Vecinos (neighbors)! Please to pick up your monkeyfish." We had ordered monkfish, which in Spanish is called rape (RAH-pay).

Cuando vivimos en Sevilla de 2011 a 2013, vivimos por encima de uno de los mejores y más populares restaurantes de tapas de mariscos. El restaurante se llama Dos de Mayo y el jefe se llama Paco. Paco es muy amable. Encantador, trabajador, un gran líder de equipo, y muy gracioso. Su inglés era limitado, pero le encantaba intentar.

Los clientes pidieron en el bar y luego recogió la comida cuando estaba listo. Había un sistema para que la gente fuera podía oír cuando sus pedidos estaban listos. Una noche, San Geraldo encontró una mesa de pie fuera y fui a pedir nuestra comida. Entonces esperé con San Geraldo. Pronto Paco anunció con orgullo, "Vecinos," y continua en inglés, "Please to pick up your monkeyfish." En español: "Por favor, recoja su pescado de mono". Habíamos pedido rape, que se llama en inglés "monkfish" (pescado de monje).


MONKEY FISH... AHEM, MONKFISH ACROSS THE STREET TODAY.
PESCADO DE MONO... EJEM, RAPE (MONKFISH — PESCADO DE MONJE, EN INGLÉS), HOY EN FUENGIROLA.

One monkey[fish] don't stop no show...
Un [pescado de] mono no para un espectáculo...

15 comments:

  1. Sounds like it should have been in Ripley's Believe or Not Museum. I can see it next to the mermaid ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wilma:
      I actually wrote about it at the time -- only in English -- and found a photo of an actual monkey fish: http://mitchellismoving.blogspot.com.es/2012/08/skyscrapers-and-monkeyfish.html

      Delete
  2. Great story Mitchell! Always interesting how people mangle different languages. You don't want to hear my French!
    Take care.
    Robin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Robin:
      You don't want to hear my French, either. And my Spanish is good enough to be embarrassing at times.

      Delete
  3. Interesting...... They are very odd looking. I'm not a huge fish eater, but I'll eat salmon and flounder and that's it. How would you explain the taste? Is it fishy tasting?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. mistress maddie:
      It's a flat fish, like flounder or halibut. I loved what I had at Dos de Mayo because it was cut up and breaded. I'm not a big fan of any kind of fish cooked whole on a spit! Monkfish has a light, kind of sweet taste, a bit like lobster. It's actually known by some as "poor man's lobster." Definitely NOT fishy tasting (another thing I don't like).

      Delete
  4. Monkeyfish? I'll pass; monkfish? Serve it up! Neighbors!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bob:
      I love the taste and texture and I'm kind of picky when it comes to fish.

      Delete
  5. I've heard that monkfish is quite tasty but I've yet to try it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stephen:
      I find it to be delicious. I mentioned in another reply that it's light and kind of sweet, a bit like lobster. I recommend it. But I think you should go to Dos de Mayo for your first taste.

      Delete
  6. In your mind it will always be monkeyfish. Great memories.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Travel:
      Yes it will! Maybe it's time to get back to Dos de Mayo!

      Delete
  7. anne marie:
    I had forgotten that I wrote about this when it happened in 2012. At that time I found a photo of an actual monkey fish: http://mitchellismoving.blogspot.com.es/2012/08/skyscrapers-and-monkeyfish.html

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love "monkey" fish - as mentioned it has a sweetish taste. Haven't had it in ages and now of course I want some but it's not a fish you find in this area.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Willym:
      Very popular here. I love it, although I prefer it cut up and unrecognizable!

      Delete

Please visit www.movingwithmitchell.com if you would like to comment or stay up to date. I stopped posting here and reproduced all previous posts, as well, 25 September 2018. Thanks!!!