Thursday, April 20, 2017

What's A Fartón? / ¿Qué Es Un Fartón?


What's that smell? It's the fragrance of a fartón.

A fartón is a sugary pastry from the town of Alboraya in Valencia. They're spongy and made of flour, milk, sugar, oil, and eggs. Surprisingly (or maybe not surprisingly), they're delicious.

One of our local bakeries sells five fartons for 1 euro. Our neighbors bought five for us and we inhaled them.

Fartons were first created in the 1960s to be dipped in horchata (a sweet drink made from water, sugar, and tigernuts — a root vegetable — not actual tiger's nuts). I suppose we'll have to buy more fartons if we want to eat them correctly. Ten fartons would only cost 2 euros, and we wouldn't have to split one in half.


¿Qué es ese olor? Es el aroma de un fartón.

Un farton es un pastel de azúcar del pueblo de Aboraya en Valencia. (Un "fart" en inglés es un pedo.) Fartons son esponjosas y hechas de harina, leche, azúcar, aceite y huevos. Sorprendentemente (o quizás no es sorprendente) delicioso.

Una de nuestras panaderías locales vende cinco fartons por 1 euro. Nuestros vecinos los compraron y los inhalamos.

Fartons fueron creados por primera vez en los años 60 para ser sumergido en horchata (una bebida dulce hecha de chufas, agua, y azúcar). Supongo que tendremos que comprar más fartons si queremos comerlos correctamente. Diez fartons sólo costaría 2 euros, y no tendríamos que dividir uno a la mitad.



24 comments:

  1. Hi Mitchell, Fartons look yummy! Yes, you best go back and get ten. Who likes only half a Farton?
    Have a good day.
    Robin

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMB, I thought you were going to speak about FARTS!
    glad you didn't.
    but now I wanna NOM NOM NOM all the fartons!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's always about men and farts with you isn't it???? lol!

      Delete
    2. anne marie:
      Our neighbors' son bought 15 (for 3 euros) and ate them in one sitting.

      Delete
  3. I am not a sweets person, nor am I, to be fair, a sweet person, but those do look good.
    Carlos has made horchata a few times and, again, it's a bit sweet for me, but it does have an interesting flavor.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bob:
      I think you're a very sweet person! Fartons are not very sweet, part of their goodness dipped in horchata, which can be sickeningly sweet.

      Delete
  4. If this post were in Franglais, not Spanish, "fartons" would mean "let's all fart!"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Debra:
      I was going to call this post simply "Fart On," but I didn't think it would make much sense in Spanish.

      Delete
  5. My Portuguese grandmother made pastries much like this. I helped make them when I was small. Delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Like a LONG donut I guess! Happy dunking!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jim:
      Completely different texture from a donut. Much more chewy and holds its own when dunked. Also, not sweet like a donut.

      Delete
  7. @bob - you ARE a sweet person (at least I think so!).

    @debra - YES, LET'S!

    @jim - I thought the same thing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. anne marie:
      And Mistress Maddie says it's only about men and farts with you. It's about SWEET men, and donut dunking, too. (Hmmm... maybe Mistress Maddie WAS right.)

      Delete
  8. The child in me had such a giggle at this post. I'm very familiar with horchata, but never heard of fartons. Maybe I'll have to fahrt* on out there where you are to get my hands on a farton.

    *fahrt = travel in German. Also always funny.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A Beer For The Shower:
      My first time in Germany, my college roommate and I couldn't stop laughing every time we saw an "EINFAHRT" sign. (We had also been drinking a lot of beer.)

      Delete
  9. Please you had me at sugary pastry tootes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. mistress maddie:
      They're not super sweet, so you'll really have to try dipping your farton in horchata.

      Delete
  10. @maddie - farts are funny; so are men! both appeal to the 12 year old boy inside my brain.

    ReplyDelete
  11. They look pretty wonderful. Definitely spring for 5 each - I hear you should never hold back a farton ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wilma:
      I hadn't thought of that! Very unhealthy.

      Delete
  12. Is this the Spanish version of Tim-bits?

    ReplyDelete

Please visit www.movingwithmitchell.com if you would like to comment or stay up to date. I stopped posting here and reproduced all previous posts, as well, 25 September 2018. Thanks!!!