Friday, September 29, 2017

Junior's Portion / Porcion De Júnior

La versión español está después de la versión inglés.

HAVE I TOLD you how well (much) we ate while we were in New York? I must admit, I didn't enjoy myself as much as everyone else. I hadn't recovered from the digestive problems I had before we started our trip. So, I was forced to eat less than usual and even changed my diet after a few days to small portions, low-fat, and lower carbs. It didn't always work. One night we went to the historic Junior's Restaurant and Bakery on Flatbush Avenue in Brooklyn, about a 10-minute walk from our hotel. It's been there since 1950 and was very popular with my parents and their friends. Given how full we all were and how tender my stomach, we decided to share one slice of cheesecake among the four of us. Junior's is said by many to have the best cheesecake in New York. I would now have to agree.

¿HE DICHO LO bien (mucho) que comimos mientras estábamos en Nueva York? Debo admitir que no me he divertido tanto como los demás. No me había recuperado de los problemas digestivos que tenía antes de comenzar nuestro viaje. Por lo tanto, me obligaron a comer menos de lo habitual e incluso cambiaron mi dieta después de unos días a porciones pequeñas, bajos en grasa y carbohidratos. No siempre funcionaba. Una noche fuimos a la histórica Restaurante y Panadería de Júnior en Avenida Flatbush en Brooklyn, a unos 10 minutos a pie de nuestro hotel. Ha estado allí desde 1950 y era muy popular entre mis padres y sus amigos. Dado lo lleno que todos estábamos y cómo tierno mi estómago, decidimos compartir una rebanada de cheesecake entre los cuatro de nosotros. La tarta de queso de Junior es considerado por muchos el mejor de Nueva York. Ahora tendría que estar de acuerdo.

FOR THE TABLE... FREE STARTERS.
PARA LA MESA... ENTRANTES GRATIS.
SAN GERALDO: "NO, JOAN, THAT'S NOT FOR US TO SHARE. JOAN: "I THINK THERE'S BEEN A MISTAKE!"
SAN GERALDO: "NO, JOAN, ESO NO ES PARA NOSOTROS COMPARTIR." JOAN: "¡CREO QUE HA HABIDO UN ERROR!"
SAN GERALDO'S VERY OWN HOT OPEN-FACED TURKEY SANDWICH.
SANDWICH DE SAN GERALDO (SU MISMO).
MY TEENY TINY(?) BREAKFAST ROLLS. (I ATE ONE.)
MIS BOLLOS DE DESAYUNO ... ¿PEQUEÑITOS? (COMÍ UNO.)
NEW YORK'S BEST CHEESECAKE.
EL MEJOR TARTA DE QUESO EN NUEVA YORK.

24 comments:

  1. The house of large portions!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My wife prefers cheesecake to regular cake

    ReplyDelete
  3. Reminds me of the Rascal House in North Miami Beach. Oy, the food! For days!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bob:
      They probably inherited their style from all the New Yorkers who relocated there. The portions are nuts.

      Delete
  4. Never been there, but my father grew up right off Flatbush Ave. His whole youth till mid 20s he lived in Brooklyn.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. mistress maddie:
      Wow! I'm guessing your father lived there when I did. If you like NY style cheesecake, this is truly the place.

      Delete
  5. Too much food! Sorry you weren't able to enjoy it with your usual gusto. At least you were able to appreciate the cheesecake.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wilma:
      Yeah, it was a frustrating week for me food-wise. But much healthier! I lost about 5 pounds. I wonder if they could ship cheesecake to Spain.

      Delete
  6. Gawd, that hot turkey sandwich looks good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Debra:
      It's Jerry's idea of heaven. I like it, but would prefer a one-quarter portion!

      Delete
  7. If your stomach was bothering you but you still thought it was the best cheese cake, it must really have been good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stephen:
      Unbelievably good. My mouth waters thinking about it.

      Delete
  8. EL MEJOR TARTA DE QUESO indeed! I have heard that about junior's. damn large portions though; I can't eat that much any more!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. anne marie:
      My mother used to get two more meals at home out of these "diner" meals. I think they should cut the price in half and serve half the food.

      Delete
  9. Enough to feed an army!! Best in NYC eh? Good enough reason to go!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jim:
      This really is no lie. I've never had better cheesecake... And I have had a lot of phenomenal cheesecake.

      Delete
  10. American portions are YUGE! I notice it more and more every time I'm there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Walt the Fourth:
      I agree. It's insane. I always wish they would have the option or half portions or full portions, like here. Even that would be too much for one (average) person.

      Delete
  11. Portion control is not known in NY

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Spo:
      My mother used to get three meals out of those places... and sometimes a snack for my brother, too.

      Delete

Please visit www.movingwithmitchell.com if you would like to comment or stay up to date. I stopped posting here and reproduced all previous posts, as well, 25 September 2018. Thanks!!!