Thursday, May 24, 2018

Fractured French / Francés Fracturado

THIS IS A box of ash trays/drinks coasters given to my parents in 1950 when they moved into their first apartment in East New York, a neighborhood in Brooklyn. Seven of the original 24 coasters remain. They're French phrases that sound a bit like English phrases with entirely different meanings. I have no idea how I would explain any of these fractured English translations in Spanish. As San Geraldo would say, "Moan Do, Moan Do, Moan Do" [mon dieu, mon dieu, mon dieu] [my god, my god, my god].

ESTO ES UNA caja de ceniceros / posavasos que le dieron a mis padres en 1950 cuando se mudaron a su primer apartamento en East New York (Nueva York Del Este), un barrio de Brooklyn. Siete de las 24 posavasos originales permanecen. Son frases en francés que suenan un poco como frases en inglés con significados completamente diferentes. No tengo idea de cómo iba a explicar cualquiera de estas traducciones inglesas fracturadas en español. Como diría San Geraldo, "Moan Do, Moan Do, Moan Do" [mon dieu, mon dieu, mon dieu].







I THINK THAT WAS MEANT TO BE "AT THE SALOON.")

27 comments:

  1. These are hilarious! I like "mal de mer" and "tete-a-tete" the best!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Debra;
      I remember shuffling through these as a kid. Some I didn't get! Now I do.

      Delete
  2. Oh, moan do! These are wonderful! The perfect build up to the last one, which had me laughing out loud at five in the morning. The dogs were not impressed!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What fun to see and amazing that they have survived all these years.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wilma:
      Too bad more didn't survive, but I might be responsible. I loved sorting through them when i was a kid.

      Delete
  4. I think I like, Ile de France and especially Pied à terre, the best. Ha! Do you know the meanings of the actual French phrases, or are they just funny to you even as silly phonetic phrases?
    Judy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Judy:
      I think Pied à terre may be my favorite. I DO understand the French. Took French for a year when I was young and managed to remember a lot. Also I was surrounded by lots of pretentious French speakers (not that French speakers are pretentious but these New Yorkers were) and absorbed more. Besides, Jerry speaks French all the time. Moan Do!

      Delete
  5. A little lateral thinking helps with most of these - though not the last one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ray:
      Perhaps some lateral thinking on the list one(s), as well, tu ne penses pas?

      Delete
  6. I love those. I got my aunt and uncle a set similar to those from Williams Sonoma years ago.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. mistress maddie:
      I find them funny but especially love how clearly 1950s they are!

      Delete
  7. I wonder what the rest of the coasters said...too funny! interesting illustrations also; reminds me of james thurber drawings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. anne marie:
      I know lots of these are available or displayed online. One I remember was "Joan D'Arc" which translated to "No light in the bathroom."

      Delete
  8. Wonderful! My very favourite is Carte blanche. Really made me titter.

    ReplyDelete
  9. After years of trying, I realized that I will never speak French as well as a 3 year old in Paris. Very smart 3 year olds in that town.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Travel:
      And children in England start off speaking with English accents. Amazing isn't it? I took French in 4th and 5th grade before moving from Long Island. Still remember those basics and those LPs we listened to.

      Delete
  10. These are wonderful! And funny! treasures!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jim:
      Something else to stash away in a drawer for another 68 years!

      Delete
  11. Replies
    1. Adam:
      I had no idea you spoke French! Tres bien.

      Delete
  12. I could have sworn I left a comment on this one. I'll leave it now. A collection of those cartoons would make a good book.

    ReplyDelete

Please visit www.movingwithmitchell.com if you would like to comment or stay up to date. I stopped posting here and reproduced all previous posts, as well, 25 September 2018. Thanks!!!