Saturday, May 28, 2016

A Sense Of Renewal

In the more than 34 years San Geraldo and I have been together, we have moved nearly 20 times. (That's why I called my blog, Mitchell Is Moving; it seemed like a safe bet.)

We lived in Connecticut (two different homes) for a total of 7 years.

We lived in San Diego (two different homes) for a total of 5-1/2 years.

Those were our record stays. We spent no longer than 3 years in any other place.

In July, we will have been in Spain 5 years — nearly 1-1/2 years in Sevilla and, now, 3-1/2 years here in Fuengirola. Long enough to graduate from a temporary residency card to a long-duration residency card. The new cards won't need to be renewed for another five years. To review our renewal history, click here.

The Málaga Foreigners' Office (Oficina de Extranjeros) has been phenomenal, responding kindly and completely to my three emails within minutes of their being sent. The last email was to request our appointment. I sent it Friday afternoon, received a response Friday evening, and we already have our appointments — on Monday!

Here's hoping the in-person experience is as exceptional.

APRIL 2011: WE EACH HAD OUR OWN ACCORDION FILE WHEN WE APPLIED
AT SPAIN'S LOS ANGELES, CALIFORNIA, CONSULATE FOR OUR VISAS
JUNE 2011: SAN GERALDO SHOWING OFF HIS VISA AT THE CONSULATE.
THIS WOULD SIMPLY ALLOW US TO APPLY FOR RESIDENCY CARDS IN SPAIN!
AUGUST 2011: DOCUMENTS FOR OUR FIRST
TEMPORARY RESIDENCY CARDS IN SEVILLA. 
OCTOBER 2011: THERE WAS A PARADE IN SEVILLA AFTER WE RECEIVED
OUR FIRST RESIDENCY CARDS (GOOD FOR 1 YEAR).
NOVEMBER 2012: AFTER RENEWING FOR THE FIRST TIME (GOOD FOR 2 YEARS),
OUTSIDE THE OFICINA DE EXTRANJEROS, PLAZA DE ESPAÑA, SEVILLA.
SEPTEMBER 2014: AFTER WE RECEIVED OUR 2ND RENEWAL (GOOD FOR 2 MORE YEARS),
FUENGIROLA CELEBRATED BY CLEANING THE STREETS. NO PARADE.

24 comments:

  1. Haaaa haaaaaa :) You know there was a secret parade in the hearts of all of your friends in Fuengirola, though! Haaa!
    I can't believe it has been 3-1/2 years already since you moved from Sevilla! I've enjoyed every minute of your blog in both places :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Judy:
      Thank you always for your support, your visits, and your comments! Can't wait to share this year's parade with you. It was held in advance (today) and the streets were festooned with flowers. We are humbled...

      Delete
  2. Holy paperwork, I hope this time it is smooth sailing. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Time flies when you're having fun!
    Here's to another 5+ years!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such fantastic news, guys!! Whether dancing in the streets or just cleaning them up, I am so glad you moved a million (I jest) times ~ living vicariously through your lives/humour/smiles and joy has been good for me. More please!

    R

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ron:
      And living vicariously through your lives/humour/smiles has done the same for me!

      Delete
  5. What - they clean the streets? That just doesn't happen here in Belize. Here's wishing you clear sailing through the bureaucracy. Can hardly wait for the "after" parade! Cheers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wilma:
      We've been amazed by how clean everything is kept in our chosen cities. Maybe it's because they understand the importance to keep tourists coming back or maybe they've just got things right. But home owners and business owners are also always out front cleaning up and washing down.

      Delete
  6. Great news! Maybe you should change the blog's name to "Mitchell isn't Moving. Yet." ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Walt the Fourth:
      I almost added that "isn't" as a handwritten insert on the banner. I may still do so! Because, amazingly, Mitchell IS NOT moving.

      Delete
  7. Mitchell I love moving too. I have lived in 5 different places in Poland so far. Have a nice living in Spain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gosia:
      For the first time in my life, I have not thoughts of moving. But who knows what's to come.

      Delete
  8. Can't believe I've been following your blog for over 5 years! I can't imagine moving so often. Our move FROM Connecticut was super stressful due to real estate agents from hell. The move TO New Mexico was much easier. And not to mention the expense involved. You should write a book (not just a blog) about low-stress moving. You were an inspiration for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Frank:
      I can't believe it either. You're a saint! We were lucky to have many of our moves paid for by our employers. But, when we've had to write the checks, it's painful. I'm so glad, though, that you're getting settled in.

      Delete
  9. Since Spain is fast becoming your longest stay, I'd say they owe you a parade.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bob:
      Oh, they throw parades for us all the time. There were several today. You'll soon see!

      Delete
  10. I still think the 'moving' element in your title isn't about location but about your splendid entries to make one feel.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have also moved often. As I get older, I find the prospect of moving -- the actual move, not the change to a new place -- more daunting. At any rate, I hope all goes well. Lovely picture of you in 2012, BTW.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Michael:
      I actually still enjoy the entire process invigorating. One change however is I finally appreciate the importance of not leaving friends behind (physically). Also, I liked it better when our employers paid for everything. It's not as much fun shelling out all that cash ourselves; and we've already done that too many times.

      Delete
  12. Hope all went well with that!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Knatolee:
      Perfectly. Just hoping there are no surprises and we soon receive our approval. Then we bring in new photos. Then we go back to pick up the cards. And all, we hope, finished before we head to the States in September.

      Delete

Please visit www.movingwithmitchell.com if you would like to comment or stay up to date. I stopped posting here and reproduced all previous posts, as well, 25 September 2018. Thanks!!!