Sunday, October 28, 2018

Kalimantan

La versión español está después de la primera foto.

MY MOTHER THE Dowager Duchess hated animals and only tolerated container pets. We had two parakeets (one at a time). Those were followed by, also one at a time: a turtle, a chameleon, a series of hamsters and, finally, three large tanks of tropical fish (all at the same time, in my bedroom).

When I went away to school, I deeded the fish tanks to the Kid Brother. That first winter, he was worried they'd get cold, so he turned the heaters up. He boiled the fish.

Unlike the Dowager Duchess, I love animals. (It's people that give me trouble.) Introducing Kalimantan (Kali). She's a 2-year-old Borneo Orangutan (critically endangered) born at Bioparc Fuengirola. In 2013, Bioparc Fuengirola began a partnership with Borneo Nature Foundation to promote education and preservation of the species and its natural habitat. Our "Bioparc" makes me proud. Kali makes me smile.



MI MADRE LA Duquesa Viuda odiaba a los animales y solo toleraba las mascotas en contenedores. Teníamos dos periquitos (uno a la vez). Fueron seguidos por, también de uno en uno: una tortuga pequeña, un camaleón, una serie de hámsters y, finalmente, tres grandes tanques de peces tropicales (todo al mismo tiempo, en mi habitación).

Cuando me fui a la universidad, entregué los tanques de peces a El Hermanito. Ese primer invierno, le preocupaba que se enfriaran, así que encendió los calentadores. Hervió los peces.

A diferencia de La Duquesa Viuda, amo los animales. (Es la gente la que me da problemas.) Presentando a Kalimantan (Kali). Ella es una orangután de Borneo de 2 años (en peligro crítico) nacida en Bioparc Fuengirola. En 2013, Bioparc Fuengirola comenzó una asociación con la Fundación de Natura de Borneo para promover la educación y la preservación de la especie y su hábitat natural. Nuestro "Bioparc" me enorgullece. Kali me hace sonreír.





AND SPEAKING OF MAKING ME SMILE. DUDO TAKES A BREAK FROM THE BIRDS.
Y HABLANDO DE HACERME SONREIR. DUDO SE TOMA UN DESCANSO DE LOS PÁJAROS.

18 comments:

  1. Something about that hair reminds me of .....

    Dudo's face says it all!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bob,
      He makes me feel so loved. I won’t even think about the hair.

      Delete
  2. Sweet Kali.
    Dudo is in LOVE!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jim,
      Both boys really let us know how loved we are. But oh Dudo’s eyes!

      Delete
  3. "container animals". never heard that before, but very apt. Kali is a charmer, as is Dudo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wilma,
      I made that one up on the fly. But it fits. If it couldn’t be contained, it couldn’t be in the house. She was shocked when she saw one of our cats ssleep on a chair. “You let them on the furniture ?!?”

      Delete
  4. I have a feeling you and I are in much the same state these days. I know it will pass - in fact reading all the posts I've missed over the last week or two makes me feel that it is indeed passing. Big hugs to all and a chin rub to Dudo - and Moose too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Willym,
      So sorry for what you’re going through. May it pass quickly for us both. Hugs back to you both from us all!

      Delete
  5. I like animals often much more than people.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great picture of Dudo. And orangutans never fail to make me smile.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Kali looks to me as though she's flossing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sheila,
      I hadn’t noticed, But you’re absolutely right.

      Delete
  8. Kali and I have the same hair style this morning. Cute cats!

    ReplyDelete

Please visit www.movingwithmitchell.com if you would like to comment or stay up to date. I stopped posting here and reproduced all previous posts, as well, 25 September 2018. Thanks!!!