Monday, January 21, 2013

By The Seaside, By The Beautiful Sea

The downed palm tree in the plaza has been cut up, chipped and hauled away. It was a huge, noisy job that lasted about eight hours. And it was performed overnight! Understandably, with the narrow one-way streets, there's no way to bring in a truck and do a job like that during business hours. But I think, between us, San Geraldo and I may have logged 47 minutes of sleep.

ERODING CHRISTMAS SAND SCULPTURE ON SOON-TO-BE OUR BEACH IN FUENGIROLA.
... OR MAYBE IT'S THE REMAINS OF OUR APARTMENT IN SEVILLA.

Given the possibility that a plumber might be arriving late this morning to, again possibly, do some repairs in the apartment, we gave up on sleep and showered earlier than usual. In the past month, no plumber has ever arrived before 11:30. Plenty of time for breakfast.

DRAMATIC SKIES AS SEEN FROM OUR HOTEL TERRACE TUESDAY EVENING IN FUENGIROLA.
LOOKING EAST IN THE DIRECTION OF MÁLAGA.

New plumber today. He's an early riser and arrived at 9:15.  One of us has to be here at all times and I'm the one that speaks. So, I sent San Geraldo off to Los Niños Del Flor for a quiet breakfast with the International Herald Tribune. He returned with a tostada and café con leche for me.

 A WINTER WEDNESDAY AFTERNOON ON THE BEACH.

No word on the oft-promised, never-delivered "tecnico," the expert who's supposed to inspect/fix/replace the water heater and the thermostat in the hall.

EXCELLENT ENGLISH FISH & CHIPS (AND MUSHY PEAS, BLECH! I HAD SALAD) IN FUENGIROLA.
SERVED BY AN ENGLISH WAITRESS. SAN GERALDO SPOKE IN SPANISH!

I now have a 13-page log of events, both in English and in Spanish, since the initial flooding before Christmas. San Geraldo has a letter (in English and Spanish) laying out the rules for "F" (we leave with no penalty payment; he pays, as promised, all our recent expenses — or — our lawyer will be contacting him). San Geraldo also included two documents from two Spanish government health organizations detailing the dangers of mold.

THE SUN RISING THURSDAY MORNING OVER THE MEDITERRANEAN SEA.
SOON TO BE OUR VIEW.

After spending more than an hour knocking two new holes in the walls, Danny the Plumber, is off buying parts. In his absence, Dudo and Moose are inspecting his work. Dudo just gave me a thumbs-up. Well, I think that's what he meant. He might have been giving me "the finger." Hard to tell.

NO THUMBS.

32 comments:

  1. Hello Mitch:
    This is an on-going saga if ever there was one. We cannot believe that your landlord should be so very dilatory.

    Perhaps a move is the wisest thing?!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jane and Lance:
      Dilatory is a perfect word (among many) to describe our building manager. Tomorrow, we celebrate our one-month anniversary of apartment problems. But, we're very happy with what's coming up.

      Delete
  2. At least you have a landlord who is responsible? for this. All of my 8 pipe and sewer leaks at my house I've had to deal with.
    Can I just pack up and leave for the South of Spain?
    My mom at least is doing better...yesterday she ate again...a lot like a snake...eats every ten days...lol
    But she's in good spirits and had me apply make-up on her yesterday...Oh, vanity...thy name is woman...even if she's 97 years old.
    saludos,
    raulito.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Raulito:
      You're so right. I'm glad we don't have to pay for all this or try to fix it all ourselves. And, yes, you MAY just pack up and leave for Southern Spain (if that's all it takes)!

      So glad to hear more about your mother. She is amazing!

      Delete
  3. Dudo is saying--I'm fluent in cat--"You can kiss the idea of getting this mess fixed today goodbye."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bob:
      We can kiss the idea of getting it fixed at all ... goodbye!

      Delete
  4. A night of chain saws? How delightful. But not as much so as your plumbing catastrophe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kristi:
      Chain saws. Wood chippers. A peaceful night in the city!

      Delete
  5. Hopefully, when plumbing problems are behind you, you'll have time to do more sand sculptures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Frank:
      I haven't done a sand sculpture in years. Sounds like fun.

      Delete
  6. Time to vacate...and head for the beach....soak up the rays and heal your souls!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ron:
      You are so right (except our souls still feel pretty good)!

      Delete
  7. You both will so need an relaxing walk or two up and down that beautiful beach when all this is done!
    What spectacular scenery you will have Mitch. Think of the photo opportunities!!
    Hope things get irined out this week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jim:
      For me, there is nothing more relaxing than walking on the beach. Bliss!

      Delete
  8. Oh boy! Dudo and Moose will have a new place for fun! How soon?

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm reading that Dudo is annoyed that you don't explain to him what's happening beforehand - and that he has no alternative but to check it out for himself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Raybeard:
      Except that Dudo is a big coward when strangers are about. Moose is more snoopy at those times!

      Delete
  10. The fish and chips look wonderful, but I have never understood the concept of eating mooshy peas with that combination. Like, are the peas instead of ketchup or tartar sauce?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ms. Sparrow:
      The fish and chips were perfect. The best I've had in a very long time. As for mushy peas, I loathe them! Jerry loves them and my niece in England thinks they're the best thing since... well, maybe bangers & mash. And, no, the peas are not instead of anything.

      Delete
  11. And to think I didn't know cats had fingers to give people.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a gorgeous view of your soon to be home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nubian:
      Can't wait to start exploring and share more.

      Delete
  13. I love your cats! :)

    Those fish and chips look divine, mushy peas and all.

    And that second-last photo made me sigh... ahhh!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Knatolee:
      The fish and chips really were the best I've had in years. I hope that second-last photo also warmed you up!

      Delete
  14. The seaside is looking awesome … as are the fish and chips.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jenners:
      It will be fun to photograph the beach throughout the year. I don't think there's any sand visible in August -- kind of like my mother's beach in NY on weekends during the summer.

      Delete
  15. Ahhh, fish, chips and mushy peas! Amazing. Your new view is lovely. I used to live in Brighton by the sea and loved the energy of it (you will be a tad warmer though). I'm sure this new chapter will be a happy one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jeff:
      I love Brighton and used to fantasize about living there. But, I wouldn't have lasted a year in that weather.

      Delete
  16. With fish so fresh it always is a delight to eat f, c and mushy peas, a heart attack in a box so not very often.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. cuby poet:
      Sometimes I really enjoy fish & chips, but not often. And never mushy peas!

      Delete

Please visit www.movingwithmitchell.com if you would like to comment or stay up to date. I stopped posting here and reproduced all previous posts, as well, 25 September 2018. Thanks!!!