Tuesday, February 7, 2017

Cock And Bull Story

After four years in Fuengirola, I finally took a walk up to visit Fuengirola's "Toro de Osborne." The Osborne Bull is one of several 46-foot (14-metre) tall bulls scattered around Spain. The original (smaller) billboards were erected in the 1950s to advertise Osborne's Jerez Brandy, called Veterano. The bulls grew larger when a Spanish law required billboards to be further from roadways. In 1994, the EU passed a law prohibiting roadside advertising of alcoholic beverages, so most of the bulls lost their "brands" (the name Veterano). Except for a couple that still have the name "Osborne" on them, the bulls are now in the public domain. But, enough of all that, the walk was easy (once I took the right path) and the view was amazing. (Click the images to see the bull grow.)

DON'T GO THIS WAY. I DID!
NO WAY TO GET THERE FROM HERE.
I DECIDED TO TURN BACK WHEN I CAME UPON THIS EYESORE.
ON THE RIGHT TRACK.
THE FINAL CLIMB?
MY FIRST CLUE.
STILL CAN'T SEE THE BULL, BUT WHO CARES.
AIN'T NO MOUNTAIN HIGH ENOUGH.
AT LAST!
GOOD THING I CHECKED BEFORE BACKING UP FOR A BETTER SHOT.
COSTA DEL SOL (AND LOTS OF SOL).
THE WHITE VILLAGE OF MIJAS PUEBLO ON THE MOUNTAINSIDE.
AND THAT'S THE END OF THIS [TRUE] COCK AND BULL STORY.

19 comments:

  1. GEEZ LOUISE! Almost as BIG as your head!! lol
    Now I understand that 'saying' much better......hung like a bull!

    The trek up was interesting and that view! What can I say?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jim:
      It looks so inaccessible from town and it turned out to be a short and very simply walk. I added an extra half hour to the 15 minutes by taking the wrong path.

      Delete
  2. Big Bull Balls. But a glorious view and a fun[?] hike, I imagine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bob:
      It was amazing how elated I was when I reached the top. Something different so close to home.

      Delete
  3. I saw those giant bulls off in the distance when I was in Spain years ago and wondered about them. Thanks for the info.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stephen:
      My pleasure. They're not very popular in some parts of the north.

      Delete
  4. So are there any more moves planned? I see you there for a long time now that you have made improvements to your home....or is wanderlust calling?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheapchick:
      We're not planning on moving for a long, long time. GASP!!!! It shocks me when I even think that. But, this has really become home. In less than 2 weeks, we ill have lived in this apartment for 4 years. Not far from a record for us! Come to think of it, it might well BE a record. I'll have to review the history!

      Delete
  5. What a beautiful view bull balls notwithstanding, I tend to have a terrible sense of direction and it usually takes me a try or two to get somewhere new!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cat Lover:
      One of our favorite cafes, El Jazzy Bar, has a map with photos showing one how to find the bull. I studied the map and photos and then screwed up anyway!

      Delete
  6. No bullshit! I read a fun book recently that you might enjoy: "Empire of Booze" by Henry Jeffreys. It mentions the bulls. What fantastic views from the shadow of the bull.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wilma:
      Thanks so much for this recommendation. I'm going to see if I can download tonight.

      Delete
  7. We have a lot of bulls over here and most of them are in parliament.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heron:
      The US seems to have more asses than bulls.

      Delete
  8. Keep exploring the adventure of life. Nice bull!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Travel:
      This simple little things really do brighten up a day.

      Delete
  9. You always put a huge smile on my face Mitch.

    Now that ain't no cock and bull story.

    Hey, that's your head isn't it! LOL

    ReplyDelete

Please visit www.movingwithmitchell.com if you would like to comment or stay up to date. I stopped posting here and reproduced all previous posts, as well, 25 September 2018. Thanks!!!