Sunday, September 18, 2011

Heard on the Street


It's another beautiful Sunday in Sevilla.  This morning, Jerry and I puttered around the house with all the doors and windows open, enjoying the cool  (72F, 22C) before the temperatures began to rise again (to 90F, 30C).


Right around noon, I was sitting here at my computer when I became aware of the very strong fragrance of incense.  I heard voices and what sounded like chanting on the street, but didn't register anything until Jerry called out to me that there was a procession coming down Calle Baños, heading our way.


Jerry was standing on one of the living room balconies, looking west onto Calle Baños.  I joined him to see — and hear the singing of — a beautiful small procession carrying a statue of the virgin.  (I've mentioned before that Sevilla has a lot of virgins.) We then watched from balcony-to-balcony as the procession turned north onto Calle Cardenal Spinola alongside our building, finally making its way to the small Convent of Santa Rosalía (rebuilt in 1762 after it was destroyed by a fire) just two doors up.


SANTA ROSALIA.  BATHED IN HEAVENLY LIGHT?

13 comments:

  1. Hello Mitch:
    These processions we love and they are so much a part of living in a Catholic country. Each August we get to see the right hand of St. Stephen, nicely secured in a golden casket with glass sides, paraded through the streets of Budapest.

    ReplyDelete
  2. J&L:
    Religion makes me, at times, very uncomfortable (primarily because of what people have done and still do in the name of it). But I find some of the rites fascinating and beautiful. I would love to see St. Stephen's hand paraded through the streets!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, Mitch, there is always the historical 'baggage' that religion just cannot cast off, try as its advocates will. But in alfresco ceremonies like this, I find it difficult to separate what is currently being preached AND the horrors of more recent scandals (some of which, we all pretty well know, are STILL being covered up, or dismissed) with the external show of piety, devotion and (assumed) grace. However, I grant that sometimes they can put on a damn good spectacle!

    ReplyDelete
  4. what a magical way to spend a Sunday morning....

    have a wonderful day Mr. Block ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great pictures. What a gorgeous day.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bob:
    I do!

    Raybeard:
    You are absolutely right.

    David:
    After the parade, very quiet.

    Nubian:
    Just another day of sunshine. I think we've had two days without since arriving in July.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is an almost private Procession, you will be amazed in Semana Santa when discovering 10.000 KKK dressed style people, walking around your barrio.
    Spectacular and weird scenery.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Jazintosh:
    Yes, this was tiny. Much smaller than the two we saw in July. We look forward to the spectacle of Semana Santa, although the KKK-style clothing is a bit hard to take.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You sure got some fancy virgins!
    m.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Mark:
    Apparently, we've got ALL kinds of virgins.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love these Mediterranean religious festivals. They have astonishing ones in Malta, too. (I used to live there)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Jenny:
    So glad you found me... even more because I could find you. I LOVE Lewis Carroll and can't wait to read your books!

    ReplyDelete

Please visit www.movingwithmitchell.com if you would like to comment or stay up to date. I stopped posting here and reproduced all previous posts, as well, 25 September 2018. Thanks!!!