Monday, October 12, 2015

Plugged In

San Geraldo and I went to Feria Sunday night. Last year, we noticed a gay pop-up bar, but we were so deafened by the noise by that time that we didn't have it in us to stick around. As is the case in the USA, for some reason, the organisers and venders at these kinds of events choose to blast music from every venue at eardrum-exploding decibel levels.

Our reaction has nothing to do with us getting more crotchety as we get older (although in San Geraldo's case, it's a fact of life). I remember these same decibel levels from my time spent at discos and bars in the '70s and '80s, and long after —although no longer at discos.

When I saw Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band perform live in Brooklyn in the 1970s, the music was so loud that I had a ringing in my ears for a few days after.

Anyway, San Geraldo suggested we get ear plugs this year and then try and find that bar.

Behind the casetas (the small houses at the fairgrounds used for parties/food/music), is a strip of temporary bars hosted by different groups and organisations. That's where we came upon that gay bar last year. So, last night, ear plugs in place, we headed down the lane. We never did find the gay bar this year, but I realised that we couldn't have visited with anyone anyway. The ear plugs worked too well. (Click any image; it won't get louder.)

A CASETA.
A QUIET AND LESS POPULAR CASETA.
A TYPICAL RACING COMPETITION ON THE MIDWAY.
INSTEAD OF HORSES, THIS ONE HAD CAMELS.
(WATCH THE FOLLOWING CLIP.)



WITH DIFFERENT MUSIC BOOMING FROM EVERY RIDE AND EVERY CASETA. 
LOOKING BACK AS WE MADE OUR ESCAPE.


We heard great singing, so stopped for some traditional Spanish music.
We didn't stay long. Hi ho.

16 comments:

  1. Hi Ho Hi Ho Hi Ho......it's off to home I go!! lol
    Yes, it's a wonder our ears have lasted as long as they have, eh?
    SG crotchety? NO WAY! Sound familiar.
    Looks like a fun time however the volume of the music....and those lights! Beautiful!
    Thanks for sharing this Mitch!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jim:
      The lights at every holiday are different and wonderful. The earplugs worked like a charm, but it was very strange strolling a silent feria.

      Delete
  2. How funny... I'd just taken my hearing aids out before clicking on your blog... sometimes I really like having a hearing loss... life is so much more peaceful. However... I did have to click on the camel race.... wonder if I'd bet on any of those critters ? ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sharon:
      Strangely, reduced hearing is a bonus at feria. Of course, I'm sure you damaged your ears at all those discos of your youth.

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. John:
      Pop-ups are bars, restaurants, and shops that open to take advantage of holidays, summer vacations, etc. The open (pop-up) and then quickly disappear. Lots of entrepreneurs use them to test markets before opening a permanent place. Others just run them at fairs, etc. You mean to say you don't have pop-up bars in Trelawnyd?

      Delete
  4. It looks like a great time, but yeah... ear plugs! I've had that ringing in the ears for days after concerts. Ear plugs are little treasures, lol.

    We're all better after the occasional 'crotchet'.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jacqueline:
      Ah, San Geraldo comes from a long line of Crotchety.

      Delete
  5. The ear plugs are a great idea! I avoid crowds and events because I just can't tolerate the noise. Wonderful lights in your photos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wilma:
      It's a great way to enjoy events like this, but it does take some getting used to. After years of being surrounded by the noise, I felt like I was underwater.

      Delete
  6. I've been to places with painfully loud music but I've never thought to bring ear plugs.

    ReplyDelete
  7. When I was a boy sometimes my family would enter a restaurant and Father's face would turn to trepidation as if he smelled something bad. "it's too loud in here" he would say and we would have to go elsewhere. At the time I did not understand this; now I feel the same. Escaping the Kingdom of Noise is quite difficult these days. I won't stay in places too cacophonous that I can't hear others.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Spo:
      I was never one for very noisy venues or very loud music. Although I loved Bruce Springsteen, I didn't really enjoy the concert because of the volume. We, too, don't stay long even in restaurants if there's too much noise. There was a very good restaurant in San Diego in the '90s that thought it was cool to have nothing in the cavernous space to absorb the noise. We spent one meal there listening to every conversation, every clank of silverware and dish, and never went back.

      Delete

Please visit www.movingwithmitchell.com if you would like to comment or stay up to date. I stopped posting here and reproduced all previous posts, as well, 25 September 2018. Thanks!!!