Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Up In The Air Junior Birdmen

It felt like summer when we went out this morning. Until we turned the corner and were hit in the face by San Geraldo's cyclonic winds.

SEEN FROM THE TERRACE RECENTLY.  MOTORIZED.  NO NEED FOR WIND.
(CLICK TO SEE THE BIG BIRD, MAN.)

In his Spanish class this week, San Geraldo learned the names for the seasons, weather, and winds. Today, we experienced "viento de levante," an easterly wind — on the western Mediterranean Sea (and in Southern France). It's also known as "mountain-gap wind." San Geraldo is enjoying talking about the winds and about "la tormenta" (the storm). A little knowledge is a dangerous thing.

This song is a lot cuter when San Geraldo sings it
(but you'll have to take my word for that):




I had never heard this song until I met San Geraldo. According to Wikipedia, Junior Birdmen of America was a club for boys interested in building model airplanes. I didn't understand why San Geraldo would know this song and I wouldn't. But then I read on; the club was founded around 1934, which means that, by the time I was born in New York City in the mid '50s, the club was probably history — and therefore would probably have only recently arrived in South Dakota.

As they used to say:
"Welcome to South Dakota. Set your watches back 10 years."

11 comments:

  1. Love the sound of 'La Tormenta'! I can appreciate San Geraldo's fascination with the term! We are having a MAJOR La Tormenta here starting overnight and into tomorrow.....50+cm of snow and high high CYCLONIC winds! But enough about us....
    Great shot of motorized paraglider Mitchell! Now that would be something to do! Yes?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jim:
      I continue to be stunned by the winter you've had and are still having in spring! If I were to go up in the air, I'd be singing like Peter Pan... "I'm flying!"

      Delete
  2. Wow, it;s very funny. But I love it

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gosia:
      Such an odd song. I would have dropped out of the club if I had to sing that!

      Delete
  3. I've never heard of this group, and I loved the video.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stephen:
      The group must not have lasted very long. I wonder if it still existed at the time that movie was made.

      Delete
  4. My town is more like twenty years behind.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Susie:
      Even South Dakota has caught up (sort of) by now. National chain stores and the internet have seen to that.

      Delete
  5. I have not thought of this expression in nearly 40 years. what a blast from the past it is.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Spo:
      Did you know about the club? I loved making models of all kinds. I coulda been a contendah... I mean, a member...

      Delete
    2. no I was not aware of the club. But I would have made a good cheerleader

      Delete

Please visit www.movingwithmitchell.com if you would like to comment or stay up to date. I stopped posting here and reproduced all previous posts, as well, 25 September 2018. Thanks!!!