Saturday, May 11, 2013

As Slow As Molasses In January

On our friends' Jesper and Jorunn's last night in Fuengirola we went for dinner at one of the restaurants on the ground floor of our building. Jesper ordered a plate of berenjenas (eggplant) for us to share. It was served with what we were told was miel (honey) and it was out of this world. The "honey" was not actually honey but "miel de caña" or sugarcane honey. This dish was so good that we went back last night for more.

San Geraldo was thrilled to discover miel de caña because, as he said, "it tastes just like molasses," and he had been unable to find molasses in local stores to use for baking. Well, I just looked it up, it turns out not only does it taste like molasses, "miel de caña" is molasses.

BERENJENAS CON MIEL DE CAÑA.
(EGGPLANTS AND MOLASSES)

Since the miel de caña is served in a large syrup dispenser, we had plenty left after all the eggplant was gone. But that didn't stop San Geraldo. There was, afterall, a basket of bread on the table.

Seeing the expression on my face as he poured the miel de caña over a slice of bread, San Geraldo said, "The bread is just a means of conveyance. But, really, it's exactly like French toast." He thought a moment and added, "Except there's no egg, milk, or maple syrup... And it's not toast."

"Yes," I said, "Except for that."

"FRENCH-ISH" TOAST.

A Honey of a Sunset 
(Click to glorify)




17 comments:

  1. "Yes," I said, "Except for that."


    Well, that gave me the laugh I needed this morning!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It made me laugh too....I notice those mountains in the distance and I wondered if Sevilla is the same side of them as your new home at the beach.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kristi:
      Those are the Sierra Nevadas. They're much closer to us and between us and Sevilla, which is about 140 miles NW of here.

      Delete
  3. Top picture looks delish - though, just like the pink sunset, alas, for me (because of the molasses) it's to look at but not to touch. So you can have my share, Mitch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Raybeard:
      Thanks, because I sure as hell won't be getting any from San Geraldo!

      Delete
  4. Ha! You two have the best conversations :)

    (Beautiful sunsets, too... wowwweee!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sometimes when it looks like molasses and tastes like molasses, it IS molasses.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Incredible sunset!! I LOVE molasses!!! Eggplant.....still trying to acquire a taste for it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jim:
      I love eggplant. Never a huge fan of molasses. But this combination is excellent.

      Delete
  7. Eggplant (breaded and deep fried?) and molasses. I'm not sure about that, but I'd try it. But there's this little voice in my head: "It ain't fittin'. It ain't fittin'. It just ain't fittin'."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Walt the Fourth:
      The eggplant prepared this way is delicious. Spaniards seem to have a gift for deep-frying without making things taste deep-fried. I really like it!

      Delete
  8. Spectacular sunset!! And eggplant, oh yum. I'm not a fan of molasses but I love their name for it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Knatolee:
      Give the eggplant and molasses a shot!

      Delete
  9. San Geraldo's sweet tooth has found a new destination. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Peter:
      Maybe that's the idea. Simply pull San Geraldo's sweet tooth. Which one is it?

      Delete

Please visit www.movingwithmitchell.com if you would like to comment or stay up to date. I stopped posting here and reproduced all previous posts, as well, 25 September 2018. Thanks!!!