Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Call Me Master Sand Sculptor

I have been so inspired by the exceptional sand sculptures on the beaches of Fuengirola that I've been thinking of trying my hand at the art. Then I remembered that I used to be quite talented myself when I was a kid. My specialty was the harbor seal.

KISS THE FROG IN FUENGIROLA...
AND ALL YOU GET IS SANDY LIPS.
NATIVE AMERICANS A LA FUENGIROLA.
(THE PEACE PIPE, CAMPFIRE, AND VOLCANO ALL  GET LIT AT NIGHT... AS DO THE SCULPTORS.)

Although my harbor seal wasn't bad, I never honed it to the level shown by these local artists. And I don't have any photos to share. But I did find a shot of one of my "sand fortresses" under construction in the mid 1980s. San Geraldo and I were on the beach in Scituate Harbor, Massachusetts (about 20 miles/32 km north of Plymouth Rock where San Geraldo's ancestors landed the Mayflower in 1620). It was one of our many visits with good friends who lived there. In the photo, I'm caught mid-creation; the evil San Geraldo is caught as he's about to splash cold water on our sweet, unaware, friend Sarah (now a mother of two). From the looks of things, it's good I hadn't yet quit my day job.

I BUILT IT MYSELF. 
(OH, ALRIGHT! I WAS ONLY SARAH'S ASSISTANT.)

18 comments:

  1. That frog scares me...I'm going to have nightmares now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jacquelineand....
      Yeah, that frog is a bit creepy. He was created by the same guy who created the beautiful crocodiles. I assumed it was a frog PRINCE. But the artist added the word "PRINCES" to his creation... The same guy who wrote EVERY IS LOVE in front of the crocodiles. That has since been shortened to LOVE. I'm sure someone will soon tell him to add or remove an S.

      Delete
  2. Does this mean we can look forward to sculptures a la Mitch in the near future?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ms. Sparrow:
      I would so love it, but it looks to me like this level of artistry requires a lot more than a pail and shovel. AND, I'm not big on creating with an audience in attendance. Maybe it will at least inspire me to take my sketch book down to the beach.

      Delete
  3. We want Mitch's sculptures, we want Mitch's sculptures!!! No pressure.....

    Oh yes, when Speedos were 'king'!! Those were the days!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jim:
      When I was a kid I was semi-famous for my nude sketches. Maybe that should be my niche.

      Delete
  4. Ah those were the carefree days of teasing, smiles, laughs, water and sand in your speedo!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ron:
      I just came up from the beach and shook some sand out of the Speedo. I've still got it.

      Delete
  5. Love the pic of you. :-)

    A definite lack of sand here in Mpls, but our snow and ice sculptures are gorgeous.

    And then, of course, as with so many things winter-related, there is drinking. :-)

    Pearl

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pearl:
      I don't quite know what that look on my face was all about, but I'm glad San Geraldo was caught showing his true colors.

      We have drinking here, too!

      Delete
  6. Those are just amazing! All that work for "temporary art". Wonder how the creators settle on the subject of their work?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sharon:
      I love how Sand Bar constantly evolves. The others are allowed to crumble. The alpine village is also constantly evolving. I think some of the artists can't completely let go of their creations.

      Delete
  7. Sand is such a wonderfully malleable substance, the stuff of dreams, the stuff of childhood.

    ReplyDelete
  8. A Mitch sculpture wouldn't be bad, and when it works out well you can sell it on eBay. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Peter:
      I wonder how many bidders I'd have if I tried a stunt like that.

      Delete

Please visit www.movingwithmitchell.com if you would like to comment or stay up to date. I stopped posting here and reproduced all previous posts, as well, 25 September 2018. Thanks!!!