Monday, May 13, 2013

Speaking of Beaches

San Geraldo and I went for a 4-km (2.5-mile) walk along the paseo yesterday afternoon. All along the way are beach clubs of sorts where you can rent a lounge chair and an umbrella. The staff usually speak multiple languages (at some level) to cater to the international tourists. The international tourists quite often haven't even attempted to learn to say "thank you" in Spanish. But that's another story. 

The clubs are all pleasant and some are a bit more elegant than others. There are little boardwalks placed on the sand, landscaped entrances, archways, "services" (aka, toilets), and several of the clubs actually smooth the sand every morning using what looks like a giant, wooden, toothless rake. I'm sure it has a name, but I don't know it. Besides, I like the natural look better.

NOTE THE SMOOTH FLAT SAND ON THE LEFT. 

The languages spoken vary. Spanish, of course, and English are the most common. But, quite often staff speak some Finnish, German, and French, among others, as you'll soon see. One of the places we passed yesterday was Playa Ronda Paco. A very nice-looking beach, and the staff apparently speak three languages.

THAT'S MORE THAN I CAN CLAIM.

8 comments:

  1. Oh the competition! Good though that there are choices if that is what the tourists want.
    So glad Ron can handle other languages when it's necessary....at least the polite social phrases!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never fail to be impressed by people who can speak more than one language. I struggle with only one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stephen:
      San Geraldo has his own brand of English. Very entertaining.

      Delete
  3. I love it! I was so impressed with my fellow students at the language school in Sevilla... some spoke (at least) 3 languages... or, at least their own language and English... and were learning Spanish. That sign reminded me of some we've seen in Mexico... odd phrasing but gets the point across!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sharon:
      There sure are entertaining translations everywhere. Now that you're fluent, you should start checking out the translations TO Spanish in the US.

      Delete
  4. 'Thank you' in Spain-ish is easy - Grassy-arse, ne c'est pas mein herr?

    I spoke fluent Lithuania once, but I'd had some bad vodka.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ian:
      Funny you should mention fluent Lithuania and bad vodka. When I was around 20, I shared a bottle of tequila with a friend and then spoke the best Spanish of my life with my housemate's Colombian girlfriend. The next morning, she told me she had no idea I was fluent in Spanish. I'd keep a bottle of tequila on hand here, but I haven't been able to touch the stuff ever since.

      Delete

Please visit www.movingwithmitchell.com if you would like to comment or stay up to date. I stopped posting here and reproduced all previous posts, as well, 25 September 2018. Thanks!!!