Thursday, December 8, 2016

Walking To Bethlehem For Cotton Candy

Some days, the international news is just too much to bear. I stopped reading this morning and, instead, San Geraldo and I did the NY Times crossword puzzle together over our coffee. I prefer doing the crossword alone, but this morning I really enjoyed the togetherness.

Afterward, I went for a long walk. It began with a purpose but "the purpose" was closed because today is a national holiday, Fiesta de La Inmaculada Concepción (Feast of the Immaculate Conception). So I instead checked out the Municipal Nativity Scene (Belén) on the Plaza de Los Reyes Católicos. (Belén is Bethlehem in Spanish.)

I had no idea they had cotton candy in Bethlehem 2,016 years ago! (And candy apples!)

Thanks to San Geraldo and my walk in the sunshine, my day is so much sweeter.

(Click the images to sweeten your day.)

PLUS ... FRESH COCONUT SLICES, CHORIZO ...
AND SOMETHING WHITE SQUIRTED OUT OF A JUMBO TUBE?
A JEWISH SYNAGOGUE IN FUENGIROLA!!!


WE THREE KINGS...
NO ROOM AT THE INN...

LOOK AT THAT CROCHETING.
I WAS SO BUSY ADMIRING HER TABLECLOTH, I ALMOST MISSED
THAT GUY ON THE BALCONY IN HIS BATHROBE. 

THE BAKERY.
FIRST I THOUGHT, "COW." THEN I THOUGHT "WELL-ENDOWED BULL."
THEN I THOUGHT "DEFINITELY COW." BUT, HELL, I'M FROM THE CITY!
BESIDES, WHO EVER HEARD OF A BULL BELL?!?
ON THE PLAZA DE LOS REYES CATÓLICOS.
(THE CATHOLIC QUEEN AND KING STATUE AT RIGHT.)


"You're the apple on the stick..."

20 comments:

  1. Bless your sweetened self for sharing this, Mitch!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ummmmmmm, cotton candy and chorizo and coconut! OM NOM NOM NOM!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not only did they have cotton candy they had coke....I think. I love nativity scenes (and no, not really religious), those are especially creative.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheapchick:
      I'm an atheist and I also love nativity scenes. I've never seen anything like what I've seen here. Sevilla was amazin.

      Delete
  4. You always have something wonderful to share with us. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stephen:
      Thanks always for the encouragement. It makes me want to keep coming back with more.

      Delete
  5. You live in a most amazing place - definitely a cotton candy world!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wilma:
      I try to always appreciate it. Sometimes it even works!

      Delete
  6. Wait, did I see Moses coming out of Egypt in there?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Walt the Fourth:
      You probably did, but I must have missed him. Apparently the Angel is peering through a window at Joseph or some other guy instead of visiting Mary. A very interesting Belén.

      Delete
  7. Luke loves it. By the way, didn´t you see through one of the windows in the "Taberna" or in the "Inn", an angel visiting Joseph or another guy who is lying on the bed? I thought the angel visited Mary and had her pregnant but apparently in Fuengirola´s Heaven they are more open-minded. Either way, such a promiscuous angel.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Petie:
      I missed that angel. Now I have to go back!

      Delete
  8. Great photos! What interesting nativity scenes! I love reading about the holidays in other places. Spain seems so wonderfully exotic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jennifer:
      It really is unlike any Christmas I've experienced anywhere else. And each city is so different, too. Sevilla was incredible to experience first-hand.

      Delete
  9. Thank you for this delightful tour, Mitchell. That cotton candy explains why it's such a Holy place.
    Kisses.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Robyn:
      I didn't see any chocolate in Belén. But I probably just didn't look hard enough.

      Delete
  10. It's almost eldritch.
    I haven't had cotton candy since I was 10.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Mitchell, I am a new reader, and enjoying your blog very much.

    I'm writing a post on The Squatter, and would like to include one of your photos of El Caganer. Would that be ok? I've also mentioned you, and included links to both your posts on the Nativity scenes. Please e-mail me at cindyjbrick@gmail.com; the post (without your photo for now) will be up late tonight. Keep up the entertaining writing...and thank you.

    ReplyDelete

Please visit www.movingwithmitchell.com if you would like to comment or stay up to date. I stopped posting here and reproduced all previous posts, as well, 25 September 2018. Thanks!!!