Monday, July 30, 2018

Grand Plaza Or Grand Army? / ¿Gran Plaza O Gran Ejército?

La versión español está después de la versión inglés.

DURING MY DAY visiting the Brooklyn Botanic Gardens (click here) I also stopped by the main branch of the Brooklyn Public Library and nearby Grand Army Plaza. All was grand, if you ask me.

DURANTE MI DÍA visitando los Jardines Botánicos de Brooklyn (haz clic aquí), también me detuve en la sucursal principal de la Biblioteca Pública de Brooklyn y en la cercana Plaza del Gran Ejército. Todo era grandioso, si me preguntas.


BROOKLYN PUBLIC LIBRARY. BEGUN IN 1912 AND FINALLY  COMPLETED IN 1941.
BIBLIOTECA PUBLICA DE BROOKLYN. COMENZADO EN 1912 Y FINALMENTE COMPLETADO EN 1941.
MY MOTHER THE DOWAGER DUCHESS AT THE LIBRARY AROUND 1948.
MI MADRE LA DUQUESA VIUDA EN LA BIBLIOTECA CIRCA 1948.
MAIN ENTRANCE TO PROSPECT PARK AT RIGHT.
ENTRADA PRINCIPAL AL PARQUE PROSPECT A LA DERECHA.
AMERICAN CIVIL WAR MEMORIAL., SOLDIERS AND SAILORS ARCH (1892) AT GRAND ARMY PLAZA.
MEMORIAL DE LA GUERRA CIVIL EEUU, ARCHO A LOS SOLDADOS Y MARINEROS (1892) EN LA PLAZA DEL GRAN EJÉRCITO, 
BAILEY FOUNTAIN, 1932.
FUENTE BAILEY, 1932. 

14 comments:

  1. Looks grand, we need more Arches, and grand buildings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Travel:
      Even the old houses, apartment buildings, and boulevards are grand in this neighborhood.

      Delete
  2. Wow, I've never seen any of this stuff before (at least, not knowing where it was, or what it was). Beautifully presented, Mitchell!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Judy:
      Thanks. I hope a lot of people have taken a look. I really enjoyed doing this post. I was hot and tired by the time I wandered Grand Army Plaza. More fountains and statuary that I didn't get to. And the neighborhood!

      Delete
  3. they sure don't make buildings like that library any more. FABU!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. anne marie:
      They built a wing of the library in 1915 and then everything stopped for WWI. After that, Brooklyn apparently was broke for a while. A long road!

      Delete
  4. A charming shot of DD in front of the library. And you can see some of the same decorative architectural features in the shot you took. Snap! - you must have been in Ny about the same time I was in London, both of us taking pictures of buildings, fountains, monuments, and sculptures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wilma:
      I always think of that photo when I see the front of the library. So, I fished it out for this post. I had no idea how poor the quality was. Washed out, blurry, pitted with age. I did some major restoration and now have it for posterity!

      Delete
  5. Your mom looks grand! What a knockout!
    And all those classic NY buildings/arches/fountain!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jim:
      She WAS a knockout. When I was young and she'd come to Open School Day (all decked out), all the kids in the class would ask if she was a movie star. I was so proud and I'm sure she loved it. I could spend a day taking pictures in that neighborhood. Lots of grandeur.

      Delete
  6. Wow your mom was beautiful

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Adam:
      Thanks. She was. My father was good looking, too. This time, the apple fell far from the tree I'm afraid!

      Delete
  7. That library is a beautiful building!

    And the DD looks spicy there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bob:
      The library's interior is amazing, too. I didn't go in this time (actually haven't been inside since the '70s), but I've heard it's been restored.

      Delete

Please visit www.movingwithmitchell.com if you would like to comment or stay up to date. I stopped posting here and reproduced all previous posts, as well, 25 September 2018. Thanks!!!