Thursday, January 11, 2018

Love Hangover / Resaca Amor

I USED TO drink. A lot. I drank because I was depressed. But, alcohol is a depressant. The more I drank, the more depressed I became. So, I drank more. Because I was more depressed. That all ended when I was diagnosed with clinical depression. I didn't drink for years and now I simply enjoy a drink.

So, I was surprised this morning when I woke up and thought, "Man, I feel hung over!" That was odd. We went to Mesón Salvador for dinner last night with our wonderful friends Tynan and Elena. I had a small vino dulce (sweet sherry) when we arrived. You're supposed to end with that, but I like vino dulce and I don't like rules.

I ordered a black mojito with dinner and Alejandro (the mojito magician) told me he had a new dessert for me. He called it a chocolate mojito. I finished my perfect dinner and my perfect black mojito. San Geraldo ordered triple-chocolate cake for dessert. I confirmed with Alejandro that the chocolate mojito was in fact a dessert and I ordered one of those. What arrived was a — chocolate mojito. And, OK, it did taste like dessert.

Anyway, when I look at my photos, I don't think my hangover had anything to do with alcohol.

YO SOLÍA BEBER. Mucho. Bebí porque estaba deprimido. Pero, el alcohol es un depresivo. Cuanto más bebía, más deprimido me volvía. Entonces, bebí más. Porque estaba más deprimido. Todo terminó cuando me diagnosticaron depresión clínica. No bebí durante años y ahora simplemente disfruto de una bebida.

Entonces, esta mañana me sorprendí cuando me desperté y pensé, "¡Hombre, me siento con resaca!" Eso fue extraño. Anoche fuimos a cenar a Mesón Salvador con nuestros maravillosos amigos Tynan y Elena. Tomé un pequeño vino dulce cuando llegamos. Se supone que debes terminar con eso, pero me gusta el vino dulce y no me gustan las reglas.

Pedí un mojito negro con la cena y Alejandro (el mago del mojito) me dijo que él tenía un nuevo postre para mí. Él lo llamó un mojito de chocolate. Terminé mi cena perfecta y mi mojito negro perfecto. San Geraldo pidió unta tarta de tres chocolates para el postre. Confirmé con Alejandro que el mojito de chocolate era de hecho un postre y pedí uno de esos. Lo que llegó fue un... mojito de chocolate. Y, OK, sabía a postre.

De todos modos, cuando miro mis fotos, no creo que mi resaca tenga algo que ver con el alcohol.

BLACK MOJITO / MOJITO NEGRO.
THREE-CHOCOLATE CAKE (AFTER ELENA'S ENORMOUS TINY TASTE).
TARTA DE TRES CHOCOLATES (DESPUÉS DE LA ENORME PEQUEÑA MUESTRA DE ELENA).
A CHILLED SAN GERALDO.
UN SAN GERALDO ENFRIADO.
ADRIÁN SAID SAN GERALDO REMINDED HIM OF SOMEONE (HE DIDN'T KNOW "GRUMPY" IS HIS NICKNAME).
ADRIÁN DIJO QUE SAN GERALDO LO RECORDÓ DE ALGUIEN (NO SABÍA QUE "GRUÑON" ES SU APODO).
CHOCOLATE MOJITO / MOJITO CHOCOLATE.
ELENA'S MINT CANDY DESSERT ALA ADRIÁN.
EL POSTRE "MENTA DE CARAMELO" DE ELENA HECHO POR ADRIÁN.
THE SECOND OF THREE "GOURMET DESSERTS BY PASTRY CHEF ADRIÁN" FOR ELENA.
EL SEGUNDO POSTRE "GOURMET" DE REPOSTERO ADRIÁN PARA ELENA.
"ADRIÁN, LOOK SEXY," I SAID.
"ADRIÁN, APARECE SEXY", YO DIJE.
SEE? GRUMPY DOES SMILE WITHOUT PROMPTING.
¿VE? GRUÑON PUEDE SONRIE A VECES SIN INTERFERENCIAS DE NADIE. .
GRUMPY, ALEJANDRO, AND PHOTO-BOMBING ADRIÁN.
GRUÑON, ALEJANDRO, Y ADRIÁN CON UN FOTO-BOMBA.
DUDO HAD A SWEET LOVE HANGOVER THIS MORNING, TOO.
DUDO TAMBIÉN TUVO UNA DULCE RESACA AMOROSA ESTA MAÑANA.

26 comments:

  1. OMB, those guys at meson salvador are DA BOMB! so sexy! (rawr)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. anne marie:
      They are! And kind, funny, affectionate... We were there again last night for more laughs, great food, and hugs.

      Delete
  2. These photos are all so much fun and my gawd, every dessert at that restaurant looks so delicious! Sorry to hear about your hangover. I myself have been drinking the occasional "meadjito" lately -- a bottled mojito made right here in Alberta that has mead as its alcohol. Light, carbonated, citrusy -- so refreshing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Debra:
      I had a new (to me) black mojito last night. I have no idea what was in it, but it was entirely different and incredible. Alejandro is studying mixology and I'm the happy guinea pig! I wonder if he could get mead here.

      Delete
  3. Maybe it was a sugar hangover! (of course alcohol had nothing to do with it)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheapchick:
      The truth is it could very easily have been a sugar hangover. I really didn't have all THAT much to drink, but I did have an awful lot of sugar.

      Delete
  4. Yes, more of a sugar hangover!
    No wonder you LOVE going there! They seem to have it all.....good staff, good food and lots of smiles!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jim:
      I think you and Cheapchick are right about the sugar hangover. Mesón Salvador is the most wonderful place. They DO have it all.

      Delete
  5. Adrian does look sexy..

    An honest first paragraph !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. John:
      When I was first put on medication and told not to drink, I thought my life had come to an end. Little did I know it had only just started. And now I actually ENJOY what I drink... and Adrián.

      Delete
  6. Joy of Chocolate and Adrian and EVERYONE!!
    So glad that 'licker' does not pass through those lips anymore, I think!
    Grumpy needs a tickle.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ron:
      The guys at Mesón Salvador are the best anti-depressant!

      Delete
  7. Maybe it was a chocolate hangover ... or an Adrian ...or an Alejandro.
    Definitely Alejndro and that lucky b*tch SG!

    Even Dudo looks like he wanted an Alejandro hug!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bob:
      The more I think about the more clear it was a SUGAR hangover. Even the drinks were sugar-filled. I would never get a hangover from Adrián or Alejandro. And they give the best hugs.

      Delete
  8. The smile seems quite at home on "Grumpy's" face. I wonder if he needed a HOT chocolate mojito to get keep him warm.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wilma:
      Fortunately, this Grumpy does smile a lot. He would love that chocolate mojito. I was the only lucky one that night.

      Delete
  9. A reason I don't drink, never started after seeing it do so much wrong to others

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Adam:
      Good for you. I started young and got out of control. I ENJOY a drink now as opposed to feeling like a NEED one. I'm grateful I'm about to do that.

      Delete
  10. How do you eat like that and not weigh 400 pounds?! I wouldn't fit through the restaurant door in no time flat!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jennifer:
      Not quite sure. I suppose a combination of genetics, exercise, body composition... and the fact that, although it looks like I eat a lot, I rarely eat beyond being satisfied, which means I can afford these desserts. And breakfast and lunch tend to be lighter and healthy.

      Delete
  11. Dudo had a sweet love hangover? IS HE NOT FIXED?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HRH:
      Sshhhh... Dudo doesn't know. He thinks he's still a sex god.

      Delete
  12. Adrian looks pretty sexy to me. And those desserts ... well that's almost like sex isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Willym:
      The entire team was hired for professionalism, collegiality, and amiability. But it's hard to believe sexiness wasn't also a requirement. Some desserts are better than sex... so I've been told.

      Delete
  13. I used to drink beer daily, mainly because I was hanging around others that drank beer daily. Then I stopped without really planning to stop--it was just that I was no longer hanging around with such people. Went a long time without drinking beer, and now can barely tolerate it. It's not the buzz, mind you, just what's hitting my tongue before I get that buzz. Nowadays, it's just vodka-and-whatever or whiskey-and-whatever (which obviously you can't guzzle down as quickly as beer or wine.) And just on weekends.

    That said, you write quite a bit about these mojitos. I'm going to have to try one, even though rum's not my thing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kirk:
      Mojitos are not an easy thing to make. We've had some very disappointing ones. But Alejandro has mastered the art. When I was in my late 20s, I realized I was drinking a lot and, since I didn't like Scotch, I thought I would order a Manhattan because that would force me to drink more slowly. Well, the first Manhattan was slow-going. The second was a lot smoother. And the third... I switched back to gin and tonic. Not as dangerous.

      Delete

Please visit www.movingwithmitchell.com if you would like to comment or stay up to date. I stopped posting here and reproduced all previous posts, as well, 25 September 2018. Thanks!!!