Friday, June 15, 2018

A Pregnant Pause / Una Pausa Embarazada

La versión español está después de la versión inglés.

WE WENT TO Mesón Salvador for dinner Wednesday. It was perfect. Well, better than perfect. I had a special quinoa dish with endive, apples, bananas, and other stuff. Chef David is a genius. If it weren't for the anchovies, it would have been vegan.

I've had anchovies in the States. Blech! I've had anchovies in Italy. Blech! And I've had anchovies in Italian restaurants in Spain. Blech! But fresh Spanish anchovies in [good] Spanish restaurants in Spain? Definitely not blech!

It was a warm summer night and the restaurant and terrace were wide open. One lone fly found its way inside to harass San Geraldo. Check out his solution.

FUIMOS A MESÓN Salvador para cenar el miércoles. Fue perfecto. Bueno, mejor que perfecto. Tuve un plato especial de quinoa con escarola, manzanas, plátanos, y otras cosas. Chef David es un genio. Si no fuera por las anchoas, habría sido vegana.

He tenido anchoas en los Estados Unidos. ¡Puaj! He tenido anchoas en Italia. ¡Puaj! Y he tenido anchoas en restaurantes italianos en España. ¡Puaj! ¿Pero las anchoas españolas frescas en [buenos] restaurantes españoles en España? Definitivamente no puaj!

Era una cálida noche de verano y el restaurante y la terraza estaban abiertos. Una mosca solitaria entró para hostigar a San Geraldo. Mira su solución.




DUDO: "AND YOU'RE NOT EMBARRASSED TO BE SEEN IN PUBLIC WITH HIM?!?"
DUDO: ¿¡¿Y NO TE DA VERGÜENZA QUE TE VEAN EN PÚBLICO CON ÉL?!?

Note (to accompany the final photo):
An English-speaker might think the Spanish word embarazada would mean embarrassed. It doesn't. It means "pregnant." And, yes, I have said in Spanish that I was "pregnant" when I meant to say I was "embarrassed."

 Nota (para acompañar la foto final):
En inglés, la palabra "embarrassed", que suena como "embarazada", significa "avergonzado". Y, sí, he dicho en español que estaba "embarazada" cuando quise decir que estaba "avergonzado".

23 comments:

  1. oh dear, SG looks like a russian matron with her babushka there. I don't blame dudo for looking quizzical.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. anne marie:
      That's exactly what Jerry told the staff at the restaurant. He was a babushka.

      Delete
  2. First of all, quinoa? Blech! Are you sure this is SG's fly solution? We've seen him wear this look before, ya know. Anne Marie, that is not quizzical. That is utter disdain! Nobody does disdain like a cat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Deedles:
      Ah, you remember Jerry's style! this did start as fly defense. It grew into sun defense, too. But flies are still the primary purpose of the fashion. And, you're right about Dudo.

      Delete
  3. Pregnant...hahaha!!!!!! Well, I've made some comical mistakes myself while limping along with my Spanish lessons. I once told a friend from Columbia that my husband and I "eat" our dogs when I meant to say we "walk" our dogs!! You should have seen how hard he laughed at that! And another friend rubbed her belly and said in Spanish "I'm really hungry" and I misheard her as saying she "has a lot of men". Hahaha!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *Colombia, not Columbia....oops!

      Delete
    2. Jennifer:
      I once told a friend in Italy that I had "changed my feet" from the beach to get to her shop.

      Delete
  4. Hey, is today your birthday?? If so, HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I understand what you have to say about the anchovies but I am used to them. The posh market has some very good spanish ones.
    Love Dudo's look of Oh My goodness you let him do that ?

    cheers, paesbnip

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Parsnip:
      I hated anchovies until we moved to Spain. Ate them in a friend's restaurant in Sevilla to be polite and discovered they were nothing like what I had had in the States.

      Delete
  6. Great looking salad!
    SG.....trend setter.
    Dudo: HELP!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jim:
      Oh, that salad was so good, so healthy, and so refreshing.

      Delete
  7. The food looks delicious and SG does look like a bearded babushka.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wilma:
      That's exactly how Jerry described himself.

      Delete
  8. Oh dear...…… He loves his dishtowles doesn't he?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. maddie:
      He loves his dish towels as long as he doesn't have to use them to dry dishes.

      Delete
  9. With San Geraldo doing his best Ukrainian babushka imitation, are you sure HE'S not pregnant by YOU?

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm only surprised that when you two eat out you don't want to sit at a separate table. ("He's nothing to do with me!") Your dedication is formidable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ray:
      A number of people have been surprised that I still sit with him. (It's easier to take pictures.)

      Delete

Please visit www.movingwithmitchell.com if you would like to comment or stay up to date. I stopped posting here and reproduced all previous posts, as well, 25 September 2018. Thanks!!!