Saturday, June 30, 2018

Attuned To Tuna / En Sintonía Con El Atún

La versión español está después de la versión inglés.

MONDAY NIGHT IN Conil de la Frontera, San Geraldo and I went out for dinner alone because Tere was working. We went to Bar Juan Maria in the old town. Conil is famous for its local almadraba tuna (blue fin tuna, which is known as red tuna in Spain) and Tere said Juan Maria had award winning dishes.

When we saw the exterior, we thought "What the heck?!?" But Tere had told us it was excellent, so we went inside. The interior was a huge surprise. A spacious dining room and enormous terrace with views to the Atlantic. The staff were warm and kind. The menu was unusual. And the food was totally delicious and completely unexpected. Like "they" say, don't judge a book by its cover.

The last photo was taken during the 10-minute walk back to the hotel. A woman and two little girls came out of a house. A cat followed, apparently sneaking out before the woman closed the door. When the woman noticed, she said in Spanish, "Where are YOU going?" The cat meowed (in Spanish) and ran toward the woman, who picked it up and continued on her walk.

P.S.: Click here to learn all about Conil's Almadraba Tuna.

EL LUNES POR la noche en Conil de la Frontera, San Geraldo y yo salimos a cenar solo porque Tere estaba trabajando. Fuimos al Bar Juan Maria en el casco antiguo. Conil es famoso por su atún local (atún almadraba) y Tere dijo que Juan María tenía platos galardonados.

Cuando vimos el exterior, pensamos "¿Qué diablos?!?" Pero Tere nos había dicho que era excelente, así que entramos. El interior fue una gran sorpresa. Un amplio comedor y una enorme terraza con vistas al Atlántico. El personal fue cálido y amable. El menú era inusual y la comida fue totalmente deliciosa y completamente inesperada. Como "ellos" dicen, no juzgues un libro por su cubierta.

La última foto es de la caminata de 10 minutos hacia el hotel. Una mujer y dos niñas pequeñas salieron de una casa. Un gato lo siguió, aparentemente escabulléndose antes de que la mujer cerrara la puerta. Cuando la mujer notó, ella dijo, "¿Dónde vas?" El gato maulló (porsupuesto en español) y corrió hacia la mujer, que lo recogió y continuó caminando.

PD: Haz clic aqui para aprender todo sobre el atún almadraba de Conil.

BAR JUAN MARIA BEHIND THOSE DOUBLE DOORS... YOU'D NEVER KNOW.
BAR JUAN MARIA DETRÁS DE ESAS PUERTAS DOBLES... NUNCA LO SABRÍAS.
SAN GERALDO'S RICE "ALMADRABERO" WITH TUNA.
ÁRROZ ALMADRABERO CON ATÚN DE SAN GERALDO.
MY NUT-CRUSTED TUNA MEDALLIONS AND SEA URCHIN MOUSSELINE.
MI MEDALLONES DE ATÚN INCRUSTADA Y MUSELINA DE ERIZO DE MAR.

SAN GERALDO''S EGG FLAN.
EL FLAN DE HUEVOS DE SAN GERALDO.
MY CHOCOLATE FLAN WITH WHOLE ALMONDS.
MI FLAN DE CHOCOLATE CON ALMENDRAS ENTERAS.
MEOW!
¡MIAO!

25 comments:

  1. That cat just wanted to join the night life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kirk:
      I'm pretty sure I heard the cat say, "I want some ack-shun. I want to live!"

      Delete
  2. So many restaurants look decrepit from the outside but have the best food!
    I'm surprised you didn't take the cat home as a toy for your boys.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bob:
      The owner of the cat didn't give anyone a chance to even consider it. But she sure was a sweet cat. Bar Juan Maria didn't even have a name that would lead us to believe there was food inside. So glad Tere sent us there.

      Delete
  3. Cats are the same all over the world, no matter WHAT language they speak! You know, what catches my eye is how scrupulously clean all the streets are. Not a scrap of litter or clump of dirt in sight!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Debra:
      The places we've lived and visited in Spain have truly appreciated the importance of cleanliness in terms of the tourist dollar. The local governments and local residents really tend to step up and keep things maintained. It makes me proud.

      Delete
  4. I LOVE FLAN! so nice that mommy took kitty on a walk. I'm not much for tuna. I would love to sit outside a cafe on that lovely little street.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. anne marie:
      I was never like flan much... until we moved here. So different and so good.

      Delete
    2. my mother used to make egg custard when I was a kid, so...I got used to it.

      Delete
  5. PS - you can tune a piano but you can't tuna fish! where does that come from, mitchell, god of musical knowledge?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. anne marie:
      Ha! REO Speedwagon. Late '70s. I was never really "into" them, but sometimes I simply said, "Baby I can't fight this feelin' anymore."

      Delete
    2. Oh boy....Anne Marie is on a roll today with the jokes.

      Delete
  6. Interesting place and great looking food!
    LOVE the photo of the red awnings(?) against that moody/dark sky!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jim:
      Thanks. I had gone to the ledge to see what I could catch of the ocean view, spotted the flapping, tattered awnings through the lens and loved the way they looked.

      Delete
  7. It all looks lovely - the town, the food, the kitty, the night views.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wilma:
      Conil is a magical place. I especially like it in winter. A bit busy (to say the least) in summer.

      Delete
  8. Replies
    1. Adam:
      It's a beautiful place with great beaches, too.

      Delete
  9. Nut crusted tuna medallions... intriguing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Walt the Fourth:
      It was very good. I doubt I'd have it again, but I'm glad I tried it.

      Delete
  10. SEA URCHIN? I don't know I'd like that sauce and I have never been able to eat egg flan, but that place is cool. I love places like that. I been to places where you'd never guess what's behind closed doors.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. mistress maddie:
      I never liked Mexican flan. I LOVE Spanish flan. I ordered the dish with the sea urchin just because... I'm glad I did, although I probably wouldn't order that again.

      Delete

Please visit www.movingwithmitchell.com if you would like to comment or stay up to date. I stopped posting here and reproduced all previous posts, as well, 25 September 2018. Thanks!!!