Thursday, June 14, 2018

Eat Your Vegetables / Come Tus Verduras

PEANUTS ARE A healthy vegetarian staple, which means Tuesday night we had a vegetarian main course (soup) and a vegetarian dessert (chocolate peanut butter cake). The cake looked and tasted like a giant Reese's Peanut Butter Cup. The soup was made by our friend Kathleen's aunt Francesca from her sister's (Kathleen's mother's) recipe. Artful, hearty, and delicious. The soup was so good, the cake was almost not necessary. But only almost.

Note:
Cake in Norwegian is kake, which sounds just like caga, which is another word for shit in Spanish. Many of our Spanish friends get the giggles when San Geraldo serves them Norwegian "kakes" at Christmas time — like kransekake and krumkake. However, peanut in Spanish is "cacahuete" and none of our Spanish friends find THAT funny.

LOS CACAHUETES SON un alimento vegetariano saludable, lo que significa que el martes por la noche tuvimos un plato principal vegetariano (sopa) y un postre vegetariano (pastel de chocolate con cacahuetes y crema de cacahuetes). La tarta se veía y sabía un gigante Reese's Peanut Butter Cup (Reese's Copa de Mantequilla de Maní). La sopa fue hecha por la tía de nuestra amiga Kathleen, Francesca, de la receta de su hermana (la madre de Kathleen). Ingenioso, abundante, y deliciosa. La sopa estaba tan buena que el pastel casi no era necesario. Pero solo asi.

Nota:
Cake en noruego es kake, que suena como caga. Muchos de nuestros amigos españoles se ríen cuando San Geraldo les sirve "kakes" noruegos en Navidad, como kransekake y krumkake. Sin embargo, "peanut" en español es "cacahuete" y ninguno de nuestros amigos españoles LO encuentra gracioso.


IMMEDIATELY AFTER I SAID: "LUKE, DON'T TOUCH THE CAKE." KATHLEEN THEN SAID: "EASIER TO JUST MOVE THE CAKE."
INMEDIATAMENTE DESPUÉS DE QUE YO DIJE: "LUKE NO TOCA EL PASTEL." LUEGO, KATHLEEN DIJO: "ES MÁS FÁCIL SIMPLEMENTE MOVER EL PASTEL."
HE LIKED THE VEGETARIAN "KAKE."
A ÉL LE GUSTA EL "KAKE" VEGETARIANO."

20 comments:

  1. Kake is never not necessary!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Deedles:
      I agree. Sometimes it's sadly not possible (no room) but it's never not necessary.

      Delete
  2. Daughter makes the most wonderful vegetarian or vegan (I can't remember which) chocolate cookies. Light crispy crust with a chewy cookie and soft chocolate inside. Decadent and I love these even though I am not a huge fan of chocolate.
    Of course he loved the "KAKE" He is so darlin.

    cheers, parsnip

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Parsnip:
      Your daughter's cookies must be vegan since I would think they're usually already vegetarian -- unless you include bacon chips. I LOVE chocolate. My mouth is watering at your description of those cookies. Luke is an absolute joy!

      Delete
  3. I second deedles! I make vegan chocolate kake. luke is getting so big!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. anne marie:
      When asked what he wanted to do for dinner the other night, Luke said, "Mitchell!" He was asked "pizza or Mitchell" and repeated, "Mitchell!" I love that boy!

      Delete
  4. I'd eat kake all day long if I could! Yay for kake!

    And just look at that little cutie, Luke. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jennifer:
      I would too. Jerry's baking tomorrow (for my birthday)!!! I can't get enough of Luke. He is sweet, and kind, and smart, and funny...

      Delete
  5. I love peanuts.

    In the summer months, I often go vegetarian. Most nights I fix a plate of raw veggies, nuts, cheese, grapes and hard boiled eggs. I love it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. mistress maddie:
      That plate you describe sounds so good. I've been craving fruit, cheese, and nuts lately...

      Delete
  6. That soup looks amazing. What doesn't need cake?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheapchick:
      The soup was stunning. Cake is the base of the food pyramid, isn't it? Oh, wait, that's chocolate.

      Delete
  7. I wonder if krumkake is related to "shitcake", which is how my Puerto Rican friends pronounce "sheet cake". Just think - you could have a cacahuete shitcake. And it would be delicious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wilma:
      I have Spanish and Italian friends who have a hard time with shit and sheet. I'll share cacahuete shitcake with them (I'll have to first explain what a sheetcake is).

      Delete
  8. Replies
    1. Debra:
      We are so lucky Pedro and Kathleen so generously share him with us. He brightens up my days.

      Delete
  9. A good balance I'd say....yin and yang.
    I think Luke is a photographers dream!

    ReplyDelete
  10. The cake looks wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Travel:
      The cake really did taste like one big Reese's peanut butter cup. I could only manage one slice!

      Delete

Please visit www.movingwithmitchell.com if you would like to comment or stay up to date. I stopped posting here and reproduced all previous posts, as well, 25 September 2018. Thanks!!!