Tuesday, June 5, 2018

International [Con]Fusion? / ¿[Con]Fusión Internacional?

La versión español está después de la versión inglés.

BEFORE WE MOVED to Fuengirola in 2013. I had seen and been to a number of Asian Fusion restaurants. Asian fusion made sense to me. A blend of cuisines that had a lot in common.

Since moving to Fuengirola, I've seen many restaurants that roll Indian, Italian, and Mexican cuisine into very large menus (with separate sections for each country). I honestly don't get it. Flavors and aromas that just don't usually "fuse," in my opinion. The two places we've tried clearly buy everything frozen and simply heat it up for customers. One restaurant even proudly serves "English Breakfast." Another restaurant we haven't tried seems to do good business. One includes "steak house" in its description. Argentine or American, I wonder.

Then again, as you'll see from the final photo, some people like uncommon fusions.

ANTES DE MUDAMOS a Fuengirola en 2013. Había visto y visitado varios restaurantes de Fusión Asiática. La fusión asiática tenía sentido para mí. Una mezcla de cocinas que tenían mucho en común.

Desde de mudamos a Fuengirola, he visto muchos restaurantes que preparan comida india, italiana, y mexicana en menús muy grande (con secciones separadas para cada país). Honestamente, no lo entiendo. Sabores y aromas que simplemente no suelen "fusionarse", en mi opinión. Los dos lugares que probamos claramente compran todo congelado y simplemente lo calientan para los clientes.

Un restaurante incluso sirve con orgullo el "Desayuno inglés". Otro restaurante que no hemos probado parece hacer un buen negocio. Uno incluye "steak house" (carnes a la parilla) en su descripción. Argentino o americano, me pregunto.

Por otra parte, como verá en la foto final, a algunas personas les gusta fusiones poco comunes.





20 comments:

  1. I can't deal with a fish taco, let alone fusion stuff! A pizza joint opened up two blocks from my house, and I thought Yay! I did not know it was a fusion sort of place. Ordered a pizza, took a bite, and almost upchucked! Being bass ackward, I looked the place up online. Indian spices. I don't like curry and I wasn't expecting it on a pizza! You live, you learn. The place didn't last a year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Deedles:
      Oh, I LOVE a good fish taco. Not something you see around here. (Not easy to find good Mexican food at all.) I think fusions of flavors can work, but not always!

      Delete
  2. One confusion kind of explains the other. Somethings are just not meant to go together.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Travel:
      And it's one thing for a good chef to blend flavors and styles, it's another to just say your restaurant specializes in everything. They don't fuse actually. They just buy frozen. Blech!

      Delete
  3. I love the traditional flavors from those 3 cultures, but I wouldn't even want to smell one while eating one of the others. Olfactory clashes symbolized by that final visual clash you present.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wilma:
      I agree with you; even the aromas don't work together. We had a mediocre [thawed] curry dish at one of these places next to a table of people eating pasta smothered in bad parmesan. UN-appetizing.

      Delete
  4. The last photo sums it up nicely

    ReplyDelete
  5. da hell? no way those 3 foodies belong together. and that last guy needs to have his vision checked.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. anne marie:
      That last photo is me after my surgery. I thought I looked good. Do you think maybe I should go back to the doctor? (OH, may that NEVER EVER be me.)

      Delete
  6. We have a restaurant here in Edmonton that makes perogies in traditional Ukrainian flavours and in Indian, Italian, and Mexican (or Tex-Mex) flavours too. They take a bit of getting used to, but what the hell. "It's a small world after all."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Debra:
      A good chef can "fuse" different cuisines and, like you, I can get used to them (and sometimes I immediately love the creations). These sadly aren't fused really, just all served in the same place.

      Delete
  7. Catering to 'the masses'! I bet vying for customer loyalty/patronage is fierce there.
    Stick with your less confusing restaurants.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jim:
      None of these places seem to do really well, so I don't know why they keep opening. The first one was part of a chain (part of #3). 2 and 4 just recently opened. There's a place around the corner that has ONLY Indian and Mexican. All frozen meals. Not even the good fragrances of Indian spices.

      Delete
  8. Do they have Dutch Pizza and Colombian sushi as well?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Adam:
      Ha! All-you-can-eat Sushi is popular. THAT makes me nervous.

      Delete
  9. Replies
    1. Judy:
      Fortunately, we DO have good Indian, Italian, and Mexican restaurants here... just not all in the same room!

      Delete
  10. Replies
    1. Spo:
      Now a good chef could DO something with that idea.

      Delete

Please visit www.movingwithmitchell.com if you would like to comment or stay up to date. I stopped posting here and reproduced all previous posts, as well, 25 September 2018. Thanks!!!