Thursday, June 21, 2018

Jelly Belly

La versión español está después de la versión inglés.

YELLOW FLAGS HAVE been flying on our local beaches in recent days, which means "bathing with caution." And jellyfish are the reason. Thousands of jellyfish appeared in local waters (during my birthday weekend) from the town of Nerja (about an hour west) to Benalmádena (the town just west of us). We had some here in Fuengirola, but nothing like those numbers. Eleven tons of jellyfish were scooped up by authorities. I went for a walk on the beach today hoping to get some photos of jellyfish. People were swimming and playing all along the beach. Not a jellyfish in sight, although I did pass a little boy who had been stung. Lifeguards and medics were on the spot and he was fine. The jellyfish were identified as mauve stingers (pelagia noctiluca). They can cause a "nasty sting, burning, nausea, and muscle cramps" simply by coming in contact with the skin.

I don't care if swimming IS permitted, there's no way I'm going in the water.

For some reason, I'm craving jelly beans. (Don't miss the video at the end.)

LAS BANDERAS AMARILLAS han estado volando en nuestras playas en los últimos días, lo que significa "bañarse con precaución". Y las "medusas" son la razón. Miles de "medusas" aparecieron en las aguas locales (durante mi fin de semana de cumpleaños) desde el pueblo de Nerja (aproximadamente una hora al oeste) hasta Benalmádena (el pueblo justo al oeste de nosotros). Tuvimos algunos aquí en Fuengirola, pero nada como esos números. Once toneladas de medusas fueron recogidas por las autoridades. Hoy salí a caminar por la playa con la esperanza de obtener algunas fotos de medusas. La gente estaba nadando y jugando a lo largo de la playa. No era una medusa a la vista, aunque pasé junto a un niño que había sido herido. Los socorristas y los médicos estaban en el lugar y él estaba bien. Las medusas fueron identificadas como pelagia noctiluca. Pueden causar una "picadura desagradable, ardor, náusea, y calambres musculares" simplemente al entrar en contacto con la piel.

No me importa si se permite nadar, no hay forma de que vaya al agua.

Por alguna razón, estoy deseando "jelly beans." (No te pierdas el video al final)





LIFEGUARDS AND MEDICS (IN FLUORESCENT GREEN SHIRTS).
LOS SOCORRISTAS Y MÉDICOS (EN CAMISAS VERDES FLUORESCENTES).


26 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Deedles:
      Can you imagine taking a swim in THAT?!?

      Delete
  2. No thanks to the jellyfish

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Adam:
      I agree. I wouldn't even want to be in that kayak!

      Delete
  3. interesting sea creatures, but no, I'd rather not get intimately acquainted with them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. anne marie:
      In aquariums, yes. In my swimming spot, no!

      Delete
  4. I love watching how jellyfish move but only in the safety of an aquarium.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Debra:
      I agree. The Baltimore Aquarium has some exceptional exhibits, beautifully lit.

      Delete
  5. I wonder what a mob of jellyfish like that is called. Is it a swarm, an inundation, a gaggle, a school, a flock? Whatever it is called, I am happy not to be in the water with them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wilma:
      I love this one. A group of jellyfish is called a "smack"!

      Delete
    2. Maybe it should be "a sting of jellyfish".

      Delete
    3. Sillygirl,
      I like that! But all they have to is smack you and you’re stung.

      Delete
  6. I have never seen so many in one spot! What a nightmare THAT would be!
    Great beach though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jim:
      I never go in the water when there's a jellyfish warning. That influx the other day must have been frightening.

      Delete
  7. I'll pass. Thankyouverymuch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bob:
      Even if I find tropical fruit Jelly Bellys?!?

      Delete
  8. The only time I see Jellyfish at the beach is in Rehoboth Beach, and that's only after a storm at sea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. maddie:
      I've read they're becoming more common in the Mediterranean. I remember them sometimes in New York. I don't remember seeing stinging ones but they looked to me like the crap that gefilte fish is packed in. Blech!

      Delete
  9. Knock-knock. Flowers... Plumber, ma'am... Candygram...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Walt the Fourth:
      I could hear the voices and couldn't at first place it. THEN I remembered. I thought you might be interested in a copy of our journal, "The Watchtower".

      Delete
  10. @walt - https://www.nbc.com/saturday-night-live/video/landshark/2832305

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. anne marie:
      I watched it earlier today after reading his comment. What fun.

      Delete
  11. There is something in blue - who noticed the Jellyfish

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Travel:
      Thanks for noticing the something in blue. He wouldn't stop flexing and posing as he walked. It was pretty funny. There's a local guy who looks for the narcissists on the beach and asks if he can take their pictures. He then sells them the photos. This guy happily flexed and flexed and flexed for the camera.

      Delete
  12. I grew up on the Great Lakes. Thems who do so are highly suspicious (and rather timorous) about seawater bathing what with its briny taste and biohazards and undertoads. Count me out.

    ReplyDelete

Please visit www.movingwithmitchell.com if you would like to comment or stay up to date. I stopped posting here and reproduced all previous posts, as well, 25 September 2018. Thanks!!!