Wednesday, October 17, 2018

Rice Pudding What? / ¿Arroz De Leche Qué?

La versión español está después de la primera tarta.

LAST WEEK WE had lunch at Mesón Salvador with our friends Natalie and Gordon. They were visiting from their home at Bee Meadow Farm (click here), a haven for rescue animals in Eastern Ontario, Canada. Two exceptional, kind, generous, talented, and funny people.

When our server, Angel, told us about the special desserts, he mentioned one called rice pudding cake (tarta arroz de leche). It took me a while to understand, however. He spoke quickly and I thought he was saying "tarta rojo de leche" (red cake of milk), which sounded even less appetizing than rice pudding cake. I'm not a fan of rice pudding.

I am, however, a fan of cake. My three companions selected the rice pudding cake, while I opted for double-chocolate cake. Now my chocolate cake was delicious, but when I tried San Geraldo's cake, I regretted my choice. I can't remember the last time I had such a delicious cake (in a restaurant, that is; I DO have master baker San Geraldo at home).

I don't have one single photo of Natalie and Gordon. But I do have cake. They have only cake photos, as well. Obviously, we all have our priorities.



LA SEMANA PASADA, almorzamos en Mesón Salvador con nuestras amigos Natalie y Gordon. Ellos estaban visitando desde su casa en Bee Meadow Farm (haz clic aquí), un refugio para animales de rescate en el este de Ontario, Canadá. Dos personas excepcionales, amables, generosas, talentosas y divertidas.

Cuando nuestro camarero, Ángel, nos dijo de los postres especiales, mencionó uno llamado tarta de arroz de leche. Sin embargo, me tomó un tiempo entenderlo. Habló rápidamente y pensé que estaba diciendo "tarta rojo de leche", que sonaba incluso menos apetitoso que la tarta arroz con leche. No soy un aficionado del arroz de leche.

Soy, sin embargo, un aficionado de las tartas. Mis tres compañeros seleccionaron la tarta arroz de leche, mientras que yo opté por la torta de chocolate. Mi tarta de chocolate estaba deliciosa, pero cuando probé de la tarta de San Geraldo, lamenté mi elección. No recuerdo la última vez que comí una tarta tan deliciosa (en un restaurante, eso es; tengo en casa el maestro panadero San Geraldo).

No tengo una sola foto de Natalie y Gordon. Pero tengo fotos de las tartas. Ellos sólo tienen fotos de las tartas, también. Obviamente, todos tenemos nuestras prioridades.


CHOCOLATE. I SACRIFICED, BUT I DID NOT SUFFER.
CHOCOLATE. ME SACRIFIQUÉ. PERO NO SUFRÍ.

22 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Anne Marie,
      Everything is always so good here. We’re here for morning coffee right now. I will not look at the dessert case.

      Delete
  2. I bet the rice pudding cake was beautifully moist! I love rice pudding every once in awhile.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That last one has got me craving chocolate cream pie. Good thing my innards have solidified!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Deedles,
      And that chocolate cake/pie was much mor dense. Like milk chocolate frosting topped by white chocolate frosting. Only thicker. Oh my god!

      Delete
  4. I love rice pudding, especially flavored with cardamom.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We LOVE our rice pudding around here! This looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jim,
      I’ve had only one or two I’ve liked, so this cake was a huge surprise. Pie really.

      Delete
  6. I too do not care for rice pudding but that pudding cake looks fabulous.

    cheers, parsnip and badger

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Parsnip,
      SO good. I’m hooked. Good thing they don’t make it every day.

      Delete
  7. I'm going to need the extra strength Spanx...….

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maddie,
      I didn’t know there were different levels of Spanx. How much tighter can it get?!?

      Delete
  8. No two desserts are the same.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Adam,
      Both so good but that rice pudding cake was to die for.

      Delete
  9. This is what came to mind when I read your title: He said captain, I said wot. Don't ask.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Walt the Fourth,
      Haven’t thought of that song in years! I thought I wouldn’t get it out of my head this morning but we’re at Mesón Salvador for coffee and just taught them “It’s raining. It’s pouring.” And now I WISH Wot hadn’t left my head!

      Delete
  10. Life is short, next time order both!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Travel,
      Truth is, the rice pudding cake/pie was so incredibly good, I wouldn’t even need the chocolate. Maybe two rice pudding cake!

      Delete
  11. I am still thinking about that damn cake. Also wondering why I didn't photography anything but the cake... too obsessed with my delicious lunch. Thank you for such a great visit! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Knatolee,
      Thank YOU for such a great visit. I’m sure that’s what made the cake seem so delicious! (OK, maybe it WAS that delicious!)

      Delete

Please visit www.movingwithmitchell.com if you would like to comment or stay up to date. I stopped posting here and reproduced all previous posts, as well, 25 September 2018. Thanks!!!